The Problems Of Being An Only Child

The Problems Of Being An Only Child

I wish I had a sibling.

52

People tell me they'd be happier if they didn't have siblings. I'd be happy to have at least one.

I had a lonely childhood growing up. I didn't have many friends and therefore spent most of my time at home with my parents. I love the attention from my parents but it would've been nice sometimes to have someone closer to my age.

Because of this, I never got to share memories with a sibling. The loneliness continued as I got older. When my parents went out with just the two of them, I was stuck at home wishing that I would have someone to hang out with.

When people tell me that their siblings are annoying and want to get rid of them, I laugh. Yes, they can probably be a pain but would you rather be in complete solitude every time your parents left the house? That might sound nice but there does come a point when it's too much.

If I had a sibling when I was younger, I would've been able to play two-player video games, explore the woods and so many other things that I will never get to experience at the young age that most people get to do those things.

Only children problems don't only happen in their childhood. They continue well into their adult lives. An example would be having to plan their parents' funerals since they have no siblings to help when it comes to that.

If you only take one thing from this article, let it be that parents who choose to only have one child, please make sure that you spend as much time with your child as possible. Not every child experiences loneliness like me but I know there are others out there. I'm glad I now have friends to share life experiences with, but growing up I was alone.

I've had friends come and go, but siblings are forever (whether you like them or not).