The Problem With Planned Parenthood

The Problem With Planned Parenthood

It's more than just an abortion clinic.
70

The real problem that surrounds Planned Parenthood is not the organization itself, but the stigma that surrounds it. The problem lies with the millions of Americans who will lose access to basic healthcare if it's de-funded.

In today's media, Planned Parenthood is synonymous with abortion when in reality abortions only total 3% of all services provided by PP. The latest annual report by PP communicated that there were 935,573 times when individuals received cancer screening and prevention aid. These are the type of statistics that are often overlooked and ignored.

A recent discussion in Congress has challenged the future of Planned Parenthood. Conservatives argue that government funds should not be used on an organization that provides abortion services, once again neglecting the thousands without access to health care that could not afford the STI testing or contraceptives otherwise. In reality, approximately 80% of Planned Parenthood's patients have income levels at or below the federal poverty line.

Despite the political commentary that is associated with the defunding of PP, it pulls a greater meaning for women everywhere. The saying "My body; My choice" has been articulated from the mouths of PP supporters across the country for years. In turn, it has created a network of women that span over socioeconomic classes, race lines, and ages as they all come together to fight for the right to make decisions regarding their reproductive health - not leaving it in the hands of congressmen.

With so much conflict and turmoil going on in the world and within the government, it's easy to ignore situations such like this - but this is the optimal time to open your mind and ask the tough questions. This is the time to write your senator or take the time to listen to someone with a different opinion than your own. It's time to learn that often times there's more to a problem than meets the eye.