I Have A Problem With Résumés

I Have A Problem With Résumés

"Doing it for the résumé" is a phrase I want to stop hearing.

8
I Have A Problem With Résumés
workingmother.com

As a College of Business student, I had to attend a "Résumé and Cover Letter" workshop a couple weeks ago. Our advisor went over the how-to's, formatting and tips for us. The workshop was very helpful considering my high school resume does not look as professional as it is now. After the workshop, we have to turn in an assignment (at a later date). The assignment is to write a resume, cover letter and print a job advertisement.

Since middle school, teachers have drilled into us the importance of being involved and building our résumés . I had no problems with that because I enjoy being active on campus. The problem begins when students are joining clubs "just for the résumé". I hear the phrase a lot especially since my major is very competitive. I am guilty of this. Senior year, I was in twelve clubs/honor societies because if I didn't have it listed on my résumé or application, then I wouldn't have a chance to get in some schools.The purpose of being a member of a club should be to learn about a subject matter that interests you and to have fun not to just be on the roster for recognition.

The purpose of a résumé is to provide a summary of your skills, abilities, and accomplishments. It is a quick advertisement of who you are. So if the résumé is supposed to show who you are, are you really being honest when you are in clubs just for the name?

Which one shows more of who I am? Being the President of a service group or being a member of some club associated with my major just so I could get a better chance of getting the job?

I am currently double majoring and minoring. In all honesty, I'm doing it "for the résumé". I'd much rather be doing more interesting things than taking 20 credit hours this semester. As I looked through varies job applications in the city, I've realized that spending my time (and money) double majoring and minoring may not pay off. How can I be positive that all of this work will guarantee me a good job? From the various job applications I've looked through, it scares me to think that being involved in different organizations than the ones employers are looking for will do me harm when applying for jobs.

There is so much pressure for college students to graduate and find a really good job. But since the working field is so competitive, we have to do even more than extra in order to even be considered for an interview.

Since the assignment, I've been more aware of the real reasons why I am a part of some organizations. I love the organizations I am currently in. But as I get closer to graduation, there is an internal battle when deciding if I should join an association/organization because it would look good on a résumé.

I get that resumes are needed in the professional field, but I wish society would want us to do more things that we are passionate about instead of forcing us to please our employers.