Princess Diaries 3 : A Royal Announcement

After twelve years, fans finally get the third installment of the Princess Diaries series.

612
independent.co.uk

We are now three months into 2016 and it seems like we already have a theme for the entire year. It is the year of the revival. Multiple television shows have announced or have already produced comebacks, mostly on Netflix. This sudden need to bring back things from this generation of college students’ childhood is pretty much the best thing that has happened to our entertainment options in a long time. The latest announcement is for the third installment of the Princess Diaries series from the early 2000’s. After 12 years, it seems we will finally be able to see what happened to the newly crowned Queen Mia.

When the second movie left off, Mia, played by Anne Hathaway, had just been crowned queen of the fictional country, Genovia. It also ended with what seemed to be the beginning of a romance with Nicholas Devereau, played by Chris Pine. While most of the second film was about how Mia did not need to be married in order to rule the country, most fans were really rooting for the characters to have a happy ending together. No doubt the third movie will most likely show the two either married or definitely together.

Personally, I always felt a deep connection with Anne Hathaway’s character in this movie. Like her, I had bushy hair and glasses and looked goofy in my private school uniform. Unlike her though, I did not have a grandmother who showed up when I was 15 to make me a princess. Still, that did not stop me from imagining it as a possibility when I was younger. Now as a college student, my dreams of wanting to be a princess or even a queen are far behind me, but that does not stop me from wanting to be Mia Thermopolis.

One of the character’s best traits was that while she was clumsy and often acted silly, she never changed herself to fit what people thought she should be. Even after becoming a princess and moving to a far away country, she still had the same beliefs she did as an awkward high school student. She was also determined to marry for love and not because the parliament told her she had to. Now with the very real possibility of a third movie coming, it will be very interesting to see how Mia has changed or stayed the same since becoming the queen. The young girls who looked up to her as a teenager will look up to her just as much as a strong woman leading her nation.

Though both director Garry Marshall and Anne Hathaway have confirmed that they are on board for the movie, there is no word about any of the other actors including Julie Andrews or Chris Pine signing on as well. Pine, however, has mentioned before that he would love to do another movie. With his busy schedule filming the Star Trek movies though, it might be hard for him to find the time. There are also no set dates for filming yet seeing as Anne Hathaway is very pregnant currently with her first child and will probably be taking a break from work for awhile after the baby is born. Hopefully, there will be more news to come as soon as everything else is worked out.