The 4 Most Common Spring Injuries (and How to Avoid Them)

April showers bring May flowers, but March, April, and May also bring springtime injuries. While some are unique to the season, many are year-round dangers and require education and preparation to avoid.

This spring season, don't let injuries get in your way of taking advantage of the sunny weather and embracing the rainy days. Knowing the most common injuries and how to prevent them can help you enjoy the season free of worry!

1. Fall Injuries

Falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injuries for ages 0-19 and are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI). As the weather warms up and children spend more time outside, it is important to supervise and teach them safe behaviors. "Children less than 10 years old are not responsible enough to make the choices to safely drive in the street and should ride on the sidewalk," note the West Virginia injury attorneys at Manchin Injury Law Group, "If riding on the sidewalk, use extra caution around driveways and entrances and always stop at corners." Take note, babysitters!

Choosing to wear a helmet when riding a bike or scooter (and yes, an e-scooter) is also important in helping reduce the chance of a sustaining serious and life-long brain injury after a tumble.

2. Sunburns

Sunny days aren't the only time you should be wearing sunscreen, you can be exposed to UV rays on cloudy days, too! Be sure to purchase broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect from both UVA and UVB rays, reapply frequently, and try to stay in shaded areas during prime sun hours (10 am to 4 pm). Consider wearing sunglasses and hats for added protection.

Also, check the expiration date on your sunscreen! Sunscreen should be thrown out after one to two years.

3. Exercising Injuries

While it's exciting to be outside and enjoying the sunshine, remember to warm up and take your exercise easy. If you've been inactive during the winter, start slowly as most injuries come from trying to do too much too soon. Warming up before activity, such as jogging, allows the body to increase flexibility, and allows muscle groups to counter each other and prevent injury.

If you do find yourself injured or sore, try abiding by RICE- rest, ice, compression, and elevation. If pain persists or gets worse, talk to your doc.

4. Car Accidents

Any time of year can bring about car accidents, but springtime offers unique road hazards. After a cold and icy winter burns off, roadways may have new potholes. If approaching a pothole, try to avoid contact, if possible, otherwise, reduce speed during your encounter.

Animals are another springtime threat for drivers and cyclists alike, with activity peaking around dusk and dawn. Prevent an accident by keeping alert at all times on the road and scanning wooded areas when driving.

This spring, enjoy all the season has to offer by enhancing your safety. While accidents and injuries can happen anytime, appropriate preventative measures can help mitigate the chances. So lather up, drive safe, stretch, and wear a helmet this spring season!