5 Ways Pollen Is Sneaking Inside

Allergy season is among us once again. There is no fury like the wrath of ragweed and pollen. Seasonal allergy sufferers will go to great lengths to prevent the sneezing, itching, and puffy eyes that result from springtime irritants. Some people even avoid the outdoors altogether in an attempt to dodge pollen. Unfortunately, pollen has sneaky ways of getting inside. Here are a few sneaky ways pollen follows you inside, and some tips to reduce the pollen count inside:

1. Pollen rides inside on your pets

Viktor Hanacek on Picjumbo

You let your pets outside on a sunny spring day and they return to you covered in pollen and ragweed. Ugh! What should you do? Brush your pets off with a damp rag before you let them back inside!

2. Outdoor irritants hang onto your clothes

Valeria Voltneva on Stock Snap

When you get home after a long day, resist the urge to take a quick nap in your clothes! Pollen clings to your clothes and will rub off on your couch or bed linens. Change clothes as soon as you get home, and keep up with laundry so pollen doesn't sit around in your laundry basket for weeks! Oh, and wipe your shoes off and leave them by the front door. Otherwise, you'll track pollen throughout your home!

3. Pollen clings to your hair

Angello Lopez on Unsplash

Girl, wash your hair! Your hair is a magnet for pollen, and if you don't wash pollen out of your hair before bed it's going to get all over your pillow and irritate your eyes even more. Yikes! If you're a morning shower person, try changing your sheets more frequently instead.

4. It sticks to your phone

Victor Hanacek on Picjumbo

Believe it or not, pollen is all over your cellphone! If you text and walk or just have your phone in an open pocket, it's collecting pollen. Then you put it near your face to talk on the phone and pollen is transferred to your skin. A simple solution is to wipe your phone down and wash your hands often!

5. Pollen blows in through open windows

Aquilatin on Pixabay

This one is fairly obvious, but a little reminder never hurts. It's so tempting to open your windows and enjoy the spring weather, but it's a trap. Pollen will swoop in through the window and cover everything you own. Just open the blinds and keep the windows closed and you'll be fine!

So remember to take your allergy medicine, eat local honey, dust your dog, and do your best to enjoy the beauty of spring. Good luck out there!