'Pretty Little Liars': Pretty Little Mom's Editon

The moms of "PLL" are taking over.

71
Alyssa Berkowitz

In the midseason six final there was a number of moments where some of us may have wondered what "Pretty Little Liars" would have been like if the parents, specifically the moms had a bigger part. In the final episode before we started our time jump we have a number of scenes with the moms interacting trying to help their kids find Big A and bring them down.

The humor, the wit and the confidence brought together a new life to "Pretty Little Liars" if only for one episode. Now after they managed to escape the basement by some kind of miracle. I'm left to wonder how much better would "Pretty Little Liars" be if the main characters where the moms and not the high school-aged liars.

Bare with me as I try and explain. Currently for about five to six seasons we have been dealing with the lives of teenagers. Teenagers who have only recently matured and experienced the taste of alcohol as well as five free years from their anonymous stalker.

In these past season we have dealt with watching the lairs go to prom, be on the swim team, date the nerd and have stare downs in the cafeteria while their parents are left in the dust. Now as exciting as all of this has been if instead we had the Lairs be women well within their prime years these situations would be less of an issue and run at a higher stake. (Of course this would mean the children would be background characters and high school would still play a part of the story, but only a minor one.)

Here are only a number of ways "Pretty Little Liars" would like if the main protagonist where the moms.

1. More Alcohol

It comes as no surprise that Marlene King has used alcohol as a symbol of adulthood during the five year time jump. Something that would be completely unnecessary if the liars where over 21 to begin with. The moms could have a book club, a simple night of winding down to some nice wine and popcorn. Of course at some point it would become an obsessive habit for one mom who can't seem to keep her mouth shut or her hands off her chardonnay.

2. More Wild Sex

There would be a number of racier sex scenes with harsher consequences and they'd probably happen more often. Hannah's mom using her whim to sleep her way into her career, Aria's mom sleeping with her Aria's Professor x-ing out the unhealthy and illegal relationship between student and teacher. Spencer's mom cheating on her husband with her campaign manager if in this case they were not related to her. The possibilities are endless and the lies so much heavier. They'd have to keep things a secret at the risk of losing their job or ruining the life of their children.

3. More Deaths

"PLL" has had its share of characters die, but not in the way some of us may have wanted. The moms would be forced to kill someone sooner on within the story to keep them from talking to the wrong people. One of the moms would lose their child to the hand of A and witness it happen without being able to do a single thing about it. Let's use Emily and her mom as an example for our imaginations. One mom would end up dying leaving three by the end of the series. A in this case would have no mercy and I mean this literally.

4. More Traditional A

As the villain of the show we have seen A do some very bad things and constantly harass the girls through text messages, but what if A took the common horror villain approach. This may look like A sending a letter before even sending a text, making voice scrambled phone calls and leaving dead animals lying around freshly killed or even leaving a scar on one of the liars. A, in this case would enjoy the build up rather than the direct kill shot setting the plot for a much darker show.

5. More Queer Plotlines

Emily has been known as the one character with a different sexual orientation than her friends, well what if instead of Emily being queer or in addition to her being queer, her mom or better yet Spencer's mom was queer. To have a queer parent on the show as a main character would be amazing.

Spencer's mom would be bi and for a while, keep it a secret from her family until A released the big bomb for her in the most public way during her political campaign. Which of course would start earlier in the series. The possibilities would be endless and this time the queer character wouldn't die or little to no character development.

The show has made it's decisions and created it's mark, but we can still wonder what it would've looked like had the Liars been older from the start.