The Pressure To Conform To Society's Standards Can Be Suffocating

Society's pressure to conform has been something many of us have known since we were little.
9830

The pressure to conform is something that most of us have felt since we were old enough to know what perfection is. We've been pushed on all sides to try and be something we’re not, just to fit in with society’s standards.

Society wants us to be a picture perfect replica of some kind of doll. We have to be smart, beautiful, funny, talented, fit, sociable, and so much more, just to be considered worth someone’s time. It's such a toxic environment to live in.

I’ve known people who drove themselves close to being insane just trying to fit in. I've seen people change their opinions in a second to match those around them. I've seen people break down over things they couldn't control, just wishing that they weren't different.

Being different is a good thing. If we were all the same, how would we know what we like? How would we make anything of ourselves?

Society doesn't always view it that way, however. They don't want us to do anything that will draw attention to ourselves. They don't want us to ever break the perfect little mold we've been put in. If we ever do, if we ever speak out against anything or even just try to be ourselves, there's practically a revolt.

I’m sorry if this offends anyone, but I’m happy with who I am. Yes, there are things that I’m insecure about, but I’m never going to change myself or try to force myself to fit someone else’s standards. I am who I am and I do what I do for myself, not for anyone else and especially not for society.

No matter what the people around you say, you are beautiful. You are amazing and worth so much and you are going to do great things. Pressure from society can be intense, but don't let it change you. You'll regret it if you do.

Society is not the end all, be all. There are way more important people to think about than some random stranger. The people who are closest to you (whether those people are family or friends or people who just make you feel good about yourself) should be the only ones whose opinion you really care about, but even then, don't let it change yours, okay? There are times that my friends and I disagree on things, but I will not change to fit them. Sometimes disagreements are a good thing.

Society will never change who I am. I will never conform to fit their standards or change myself to fit into a small mold. I genuinely hope that anyone who reads this article does the same.