A President in Pain

A President in Pain

Lies in the White House should cause more concern.

21
A President in Pain
flickr, 2001online

When we can see that someone we care about is in pain, or heading down the wrong path, is it not second nature to reach out and help them? For example, if your best friend was visibly suffering wouldn’t you feel compelled to reach out and help? Maybe that’s not how everyone responds to distress signals, but for me, it’s hard to sit idly by and watch the people I hold dear struggle. It’s not as if suffering isn’t normal, after all, were all bound to experience pain at points throughout our lives. In fact, the claim can be made that the presence of pain in our lives is what allows us to experience joy. With this in mind, it is not so much pain that I seek to extinguish amongst the people I care about, but instead the corrosion of purpose that pain can evoke. To my understanding, it is America’s purpose as a nation to serve as an unwavering model of virtue, reason, and freedom for both our friends and foes from around the world. It is also my understanding that America is not living up to our purpose. I fear that this because our country is suffering. I fear that America is a nation in pain, in large, because of the pain belonging to the leader of thought we democratically elected to represent us all, President Trump.

I care about Donald Trump. I care about my country, and because I care, I cannot condone any sort of notion claiming that President Trump belongs in the white house after how he’s conducted himself this far into his presidency. It’s hard for me to believe that a man whose built and managed a multi-billion dollar empire and successfully transitioned from a laughable presidential candidate to the standing President of the United States is stupid, his intelligence is not the cause of my concern, it is his sanity which frightens me. With President Trump seemingly involving himself in a new twitter scandal every day, it gets harder and harder to hold Trump accountable for both the facts and the fiction he endorses online. One of these recent twitter scandals which fell out of the media's spotlight prior to its alarming outcome was President Trump’s twitter tirade regarding some pretty serious allegations he chose to make against President Obama and the previous administration.

On March 4th, our Commander and Chief, Donald Trump, decided to get an early start to the daily responsibilities which await him as the current U.S President. While the D.C sunrise was still busy kissing the horizon and welcoming another Saturday into existence, we could already find President Trump taking to his favorite form of communication - twitter - with the goal in mind of enlightening his people, the American public, to the biggest political scandal sense Nixon’s Watergate! In this string of tweets President Trump took the initiative to expose how his predecessor, Barack Obama, was directly involved in the process of wiretapping his Trump Tower residence in the time leading up to the presidential election, stating “Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my wires tapped in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!” and that “How low has President Obama gone to tap my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!”

President Trump is right, if this were true, and President Obama had acted outside of his powers in an act of espionage against a presidential candidate then this would in fact be one of the biggest scandals to ever hit the white house. The problem is – contrary to certain stories still circling the media – President Trump’s tweets simply are not true. Both the directors of the FBI and NSA testified under oath that each of President Trump’s four tweets accusing President Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower were lies. FBI Director, James Comey, and NSA Director, Michael Rogers, each conducted their own investigations into the current President’s claims and both of their investigations concluded without finding an ounce of evidence in support of Trump’s tweets. Admiral Rogers responded to the possible conspiracy behind Trump’s Twitter rant claiming that British intelligence agencies reported that President Obama went outside the American chain of command by asking the British government to help him spy on Trump’s presidential campaign by stating that these accusations are simply untrue, and that the fabrication of these narratives are damaging to our international relations.

Of course, there is always the danger that the FBI, the NSA, the Chair of the House Intelligence Committee, and the other entities which discredited President Trump’s tweets are all wrong, and whatever private sources President Trump has at his disposal to discover his intelligence reports are right, but I would argue that this is the less reasonable reality because – unfortunately – this is not the first time President Trump has been caught up in his lies. From his notorious reputation for dirty business practices such as his involvement in Trump University, to his more recent lies on the political stage attempting to erase Russia’s involvement in the U.S election process, Trump has steadily built himself a resume upon a list of lies. In my experience, this means the man is not well. Also from my own experience, this means he is a dangerous man to have in office. I suppose there are those who like the idea of a dangerous figure looming in the oval office, someone intimidating to get things done, but when a President has established the power to lie in order to distract the public from what’s going on behind the curtain, then I would argue his danger goes beyond any reasonable appeal.

We deserve a President who knows the truth as well as he knows himself, and after enduring President Trump’s first few months in office, I fear that our current Commander & Chief is far too out of touch with both the truth and his sense self to lead. According to section 4 of the 25th Amendment if a President is unable to faithfully perform the duties of his office, his Vice President, cabinet, and congress can intervene. While Vice President Pence isn’t the greatest replacement I can think of, I still think we owe it to America, and to our current President, to help by alleviating the burden of Trump’s Presidency. It is not a habitual liar's purpose to lead, and it is not America's purpose to be lead by Donald Trump.