13 College Things You Do Totally Different As A Junior

Another year older, another year wiser.

1040
Kelsey Dietrich

The difference between a college freshman and a college sophomore is pretty predictable. You are no longer a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed frosh dressed in cute clothes arriving at each class at least 10 minutes early unsure of where you are headed next; rather, sophomores know exactly where each building is located and that wearing sweats to class is perfectly acceptable. Yet, what is to expect during the next year of your undergraduate studies; surely there can't be that much of a difference between a college sophomore and a college junior, right?

Wrong.

Here are 13 college things you do totally different when you are a college junior.

1. Living space

Sophomore: I am so happy to live on campus for another year; this place is like my second home.

Junior: Thank goodness I no longer have to attempt to survive and thrive in a shoebox. Here's to living in my first apartment.

2. Packing

Sophomore: I just left all of my dorm necessities in a tote over the summer so I can conveniently throw it in my car the day before classes begin. I don't even have to pack!

Junior: I didn't even realize I had this much stuff. How does one accumulate so many things and how do I know what I'll need in the apartment? I have to bring it all.

3. Food

Sophomore: Sweet, the dining hall has the mac 'n' cheese bar today!

Junior: How do you cook?

4. Parking

Sophomore: There is one student lot and it is literally on the outside edge of campus as far away from everything as possible. Better wear my good walking shoes.

Junior: There are five commuter lots and they are all centrally located. This is amazing.

5. Class schedule

Sophomore: I still have a couple gen-eds to wrap up but I get to start in on my major courses this semester and I am so excited.

Junior: 18 credit hours of all my major courses; I'm either going to love my life or hate it.

6. Decorations

Sophomore: I have a couple cute door decorations to make my little space feel homey and inviting.

Junior: Who can afford to decorate an apartment while also furnishing the entire thing?

7. Waking up

Sophomore: *Rolls out of bed 5 minutes before class starts and hustles there from the dorm*

Junior: *Sets 3 alarms to be sure to get up with enough time to get ready, drive to campus, find parking, and then hustle to class*

8. Professors

Sophomore: I cannot wait to meet some more new professors this year.

Junior: *Takes all electives with the same prof*

9. Backpack

Sophomore: I'll take a good pen, my planner, and my computer. If I forget anything, I can run back to my room and grab it between classes.

Junior: Textbooks, notebooks, writing utensils, planner, umbrella, laptop, laptop charger, phone charger, water bottle, travel coffee mug, food... I need a massage.

10. Involvement

Sophomore: I plan on joining a couple more orgs this year, now that I know I can truly handle my workload and just surviving college in general.

Junior: I have a meeting for a different group every night this week plus an interview.

11. Internships

Sophomore: Whoa, the word "internship" is so grown up. Nothing I have to worry about right now.

Junior: So I'm amazed I was actually offered a position with the company I applied to intern for. This will be great for my professional development.

12. The first day of class

Sophomore: Syllabus day! Yay, so easy!

Junior: I already had two online homework assignments, a project outline, and three chapters to read and class starts TOMORROW.

13. The future

Sophomore: Thinking about the future is nothing I have to worry about right now. I am just starting my second year of college, all that matters is that I have my life together right here, right now.

Junior: Along with my 18 credit hours this semester, I also need to thoroughly search graduate school options and make an outline of the requirements for each place I intend on applying to. Although it's still a year away, I want to be as prepared as possible and it's never too late to start planning the next step.