Praising God in the Hard Times

Praising God in the Hard Times

Even When it Hurts, I'll Praise You

241
Praising God in the Hard Times
Even When it Hurts, Hillsong

Has it ever hurt? I mean, really, really hurt. I believe all of us have been there. And if you haven't, you will get there--that might be the only thing I can promise you. There are real struggles in our lives, real hurts, real pains, that have real consequences. These seasons in our lives produce legitimate feelings and emotions that we cannot simply push away. We can ignore them, but that does not make them leave. If you are struggling, or ever have struggled, you know exactly what I am talking about.

However, this is not where the story ends. It is not necessary to just suffer through it. We do not have to brave it on our own. We have other options. There is a passage of scripture I was reminded of this week. It is actually one of my favorites that I have highlighted and underlined several times in my bible.

"By entering through faith into what God has always wanted to do for us—set us right with him, make us fit for him—we have it all together with God because of our Master Jesus. And that’s not all: We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that he has already thrown open his door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand—out in the wide open spaces of God’s grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise." (Romans 5:1-2, MSG.)

These verses give me something I cannot find anywhere else. The truth of these words overwhelms me with emotions and thoughts that I cannot explain to anyone. Even before we realized God's love and desire for us, He was waiting there, ready to draw us near to Him. Even while we mistreated Him, He stood there, willing to take us in at any moment. There is nothing in this world I can shout for and praise louder than that. As amazing as this is, this is not where it ends.

"There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!" (Romans 5:3-5, MSG.)

Another version says, "...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us." (Romans 5:3-5, NIV.)

This seems so beautiful and pure, doesn't it? But what about when we apply it in our lives? Something bad happens--maybe even horrible--what do we do? Rejoice. Be glad. Be joyful. Seems a little bit crazy, doesn't it?

In our society, when there is a storm raging in our lives, we shut down or ignore it, or bury ourselves in it. These ideas are so radical within this context. How are we supposed to take a terrible thing and turn it into something we get joy out of? I do not believe that we can. I believe that this verse comforts us with the truth that we do not have to hold onto this darkness that is trying to suffocate us. Notice the word trying--we decide whether it succeeds. Verses 3-5 face us with another option. I believe that the key of how to apply this in our lives is in the following verses.

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:6-8, NIV.)

This is about resting in the truth. I think later on it continues to explain this.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:26-28, NIV.)

This is apart of surrendering our lives to Jesus Christ. We must understand that we have no control over what is happening. Even as I write these words, I am aware of struggles in my own life that I need to drop at His feet. If we hold onto things that we cannot help, we will only hurt ourselves. The truth is that God loves us, He sacrificed His Son for us so that He can have an intimate relationship and friendship with us, and He wants us to understand that He is powerful enough and big enough to take the death in our lives and turn it into life.

"To all who mourn...He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
that the Lord has planted for his own glory." (Isaiah 61:3, NLT.)

"...Even when the fight seems lost
I'll praise you
Even when it hurts like hell
I'll praise you
Even when it makes no sense to sing
Louder then I'll sing your praise...
Lord my heart burns only for you
You are all you are all I want
And my soul waits only for you
And I will sing till the miracle comes
I will only sing your praise..."
Even When it Hurts, Hillsong United