5 Potential Big Bads For MCU Phase 4 And Beyond

The more scum and villainy, the better.

36
https://www.trendsinternational.com/products/rp17687.html
Trends International

Marvel Studios is not the most successful when it comes to their villains, often choosing to sideline the enemy to flesh out their heroes. But when Marvel does nail their villains, they become memorable in the eyes of audiences.

Josh Brolin's performance as Mad Titan Thanos will remain a hard act for any new villain to follow up, but not an objective that is completely impossible. The "house of ideas" is home to some of the most ruthless and creative forces of evil ever put on paper.

Now that Marvel has virtually complete access to their entire villain lineup, thanks to recent mergers and deals, the canvas is wide open. Bring on the villains!

5. The Skrulls

These shape-shifting race of aliens were introduced to the MCU in "Captain Marvel" as a peace-faring species on the brink of extinction at war with rival race The Kree, led by their likable leader Talos (Ben Mendelsohn). But the film hints that there may be other factions of Skulls still remaining in space that do not share the same goals and beliefs as Talos for their fellow races.

In the "Secret Invasion" comic event, the Skrulls, led by a more malevolent leader Queen Veranke, initiate a drawn-out assault of Earth using Skrull sleeper agents to take the place of several famous superheroes, villains, government officials, and politicians. In retaliation for their occasional defeats by Earth's heroes, the Skrull empire has even produced Super Skrulls, who can not only change shape but possess the powers of certain heroes.

One Skrull named Kl'rt, for example, has the combined powers of all members of the Fantastic Four. So, expect the little green men from outer space to return with a vengeance... if they haven't already.

4. Mephisto

There are not many things as terrifying as the devil himself. Mephistopheles (affectionately nicknamed Mephisto by his peers) is an immortal demon who is drawn to power by the natural evils of planet Earth. Introduced in "Silver Surfer," Mephisto is often seen in the pages of Marvel Comics as a slippery dealmaker desiring the souls of those purest of heart both human and nonhuman.

Not only is Mephisto responsible for transforming human motorcyclist Johnny Blaze into the superhero Ghost Rider, but Mephisto also remains the catalyst for Victor Von Doom's turn to villainy after banishing Doom's mother's soul to hell. If there is someone pulling the strings, Mephisto is most likely the one behind the serious of events.

There is a chance that Marvel may want to stray away from the controversial topic of a demon literally ruling over hell itself. The subject can be a bit touchy for certain audiences, but they've taken so many risks so far. Why not take another?

3. A.I.M.

In a world of superhumans, gods, and aliens, it's easy to forget that there are humans still out there just as dangerous as the threats that come from above. The highly intelligent half human half machine, M.O.D.O.K., is the head of the terrorist organization Advanced Idea Mechanics (most commonly known as A.I.M.), which consists of a collective of evil scientists clad in yellow beekeeper suits bent on taking over the world.

If there is technology to be had, A.I.M. will get their hands on it. Following the downfall of chief MCU evil organization Hydra, A.I.M. would be a natural successor to Hydra with their tendency of occasionally funding different villains and having a hand in creating innovative new technologies, such as M.O.D.OK., the Cosmic Cube, and "The Super Adaptoid," an android who, as the name implies, can adapt the fighting abilities and traits of any hero it comes in contact with.

While Hydra still held onto the ways of the past, A.I.M. is more about the future using advanced technology to gain a proper foothold. Now that Wakanda has officially revealed themselves to the greater public, an organization like A.I.M. may want to get their hands on a stockpile of Vibranium.

2. Galactus

How does a superhero fight a being that can eat planets? That is a question that has plagued readers since 1966 when Galactus the Devourer of Worlds made his entry to the Marvel Universe in the pages of "Fantastic Four." On his quest for devouring planets and civilizations, Galactus has come into contact with many Marvel heroes from the "Fantastic Four," "The Avengers," "Nova," and the "Guardians of the Galaxy."

Perhaps Galactus's most important superhero contact is that of Norrin Radd a.k.a. The Silver Surfer, who began his Marvel run as a loyal herald and planet scout for Galactus who spared Radd's planet of Zenn-La in exchange for his servitude before defecting and being banished on Earth by his former master.

Galactus is not a villain in general terms as he is a universal constant who is just virtually doing his job. If there is not a Galactus, everything would fall into disarray, which makes the situation even more complicated for our heroes. Galactus is a threat so powerful that he can never truly be defeated by any hero but only repelled temporarily before the aged demigod eventually hungers for planets once again.

1. Doctor Doom

Arguably, Marvel's premiere villain in the pages of the comics, scientist and sorcerer Victor Von Doom is the sovereign ruler of Latveria, a nation in Eastern Europe with technology that rivals even Wakanda. Doom rules over the isolationist Latveria with a literal iron fist, but genuinely cares for and protects his people. But Doom's ego believes that only he would be the most suitable person in ruling Earth itself.

Becoming known over the years as the archenemy of the Fantastic Four, Doom has caused problems for almost all of Earth's superheroes. Doom has taken over the world countless times and has even become a god, which was beneath him. If there is power to be had, Doom will likely try to use it for his own benefit.

If it were not for Doom's dreadful ego and hatred for Reed Richards, Doom may actually have a solid shot at being a hero, or even a greater threat than he already is.