Post-Finals Anxiety Is A Real Thing But Here's How To Cope

Post-Finals Anxiety Is A Real Thing And Here's How You Can Cope With It

Not all of us feel down after a super stressful period, but this article is dedicated to those of you who do.

430
girl working on a laptop

Finals are a different universe of their own — time seems to be a concept, fresh air and sunlight are things of the past, social lives are at the same priority as putting effort into how we look, and mental breakdowns are a shared experience. If you are anything like me, you are more stressed once finals week is over and you suddenly have nothing to do.

During finals week, we tend to be focused at the task on hand because sometimes its just not an option to divert your attention elsewhere, even if that means prioritizing exercise or eating proper meals. Post-finals anxiety is something I have personally battled with, but I have learned to calm my body and mind by following a simple set of rules.

1. Avoid Post-Finals Anxiety Entirely By Taking Care Of Yourself

I have seen that the best way to prevent stress after finals is to take care of myself during finals week, which means prioritizing my health over a grade. Try pacing yourself while studying instead of freaking out once you realize you have so much to do (we've all been there). Getting a good amount of exercise and sleep is also crucial because it lowers stress-hormone levels in your body and prevents buildup.

2. Make A Game Plan

We stress out because we are short on time to complete a task. Procrastination plagues us all, but avoid it by making a multiple-day study plan with how much of each subject you need to have studied by the end of the day. Writing set goals for each day will prevent procrastination because you won't think you have the entire day to study something and then decide to watch Netflix until you realize it's been three hours and you've gotten nothing done and now you need a nap —Don't do it!

3. DO Socialize, But Have Self-Control

We think it's best to close ourselves off in our lairs and study until the sun comes up but we all know that rarely happens — we end up getting distracted. Socializing with people during finals helps alleviate stress because you have a way to vent your feelings — and more likely than not, your friend will reciprocate. Psychologically, it's healthy to talk about stressful feelings instead of keeping them in and allowing them to build up until a mental breakdown is near.

4. Talk To Your Professors

Talk to your professors about their finals and any questions or concerns you have; they are there to help even if sometimes it doesn't seem like it. I have had many times where I will go to a professor's office hours to discuss their final and I find myself leaving with a better understanding of how to approach the final and how stressed I should really be about it. Professors are an underrated tool that you can use during finals to help you know what to expect on test day.

5. Don't Forget To Call Your Mom

We bury ourselves so deeply within our work that we forget to prioritize things that matter like family. I don't know about you but my mom is the first person I go to if I need advice or if I am just total mental-breakdown mode. Something about talking it out with someone who understands you better than anyone is the most reassuring thing to me. Talking to family is also motivation to stay focused studying because you'll only see them after you take AND pass your finals!