Post Christmas Blues

Post Christmas Blues

Appreciating the little things.

6
Post Christmas Blues
Mwerickson

Christmas has passed. The day after Christmas is filled with this unknown quietness that is larger for some. When you love Christmas and countdown until it is Christmas, the day after is a bit lonely it seems; maybe your tree is already down and it looks as if this holiday came and went in a blink of an eye. Christmas is truly only one day long, despite the 12 days of Christmas song or a 25 day countdown. Whatis most interesting is that the build up until Christmas seems to be the best part. So do I wish that we can live in just the countdown of Christmas? Making December a bit longer.

We get so excited for a day that seems to just last a morning, unless your family has some big Christmas dinner that might extend the day a bit further. For me, Christmas is filled with a day of relaxation, presents in the morning and a nap mid-day, and some form of meal for dinner. This year it was Chinese food. It also includes movies, or Netlfix shows to catch up on. Afterall, I have the day off and so does my mom which is a rare occurence.

So what is this day we all countdown for and find it hard to fall asleep the night before? I found it a bit hard to fall alseep the night before, even though my biggets present had already been opened and I wasn't really excited to open anything. We've been conditioned to love and become joyous when this holiday occurs and I personally feel that although I am older, the marking of the days off the calendar is something I thoroughly enjoy. But at the same time I am saddened the day after because the thrill is gone and I've reached the end of the roller coaster.

Christmas music might be played until New Year's, but it's just not the same. Is it odd I want to listen to it for a bit longer? Perhaps just in my car. My little secret.

As I get older, I ask for more practical gifts that I know I'm getting before I open them, but my excitement to see the look on others when they open my gift, never truly gets old or exhausted. I get excited for socks and a new pair of sneakers and that seems to be the highlight of the gift opening process. But as much as we loved mkaing wishlists gorwing up, the whole asking for Christmas gifts is bit overated now. I prefer to think long and hard about someone's gift and I so appreciate when I too open a gift that has too much thoughtfulness to pick apart.

On this Christmas, I became thankful for everything I have and everything I hope next year will be like. Christmas seems to end one year, and prepare us for the entrance of a new year. I look at this past Christmas as a time for us to truly appreciate all the good we've witnessed and to understand that with good comes bad, but with bad comes perseverance.

Now to have a week before New year's.