Post Break Blues, Featuring The 5 Stages Of Grief

This break wasn't long enough.

172

It feels like Thanksgiving Break was just yesterday. I'll be honest: I did not do work over break. It even felt weird holding a pencil and typing on the Monday we came back. After talking to fellow classmates and friends, I learned that I was not the only one. My professor even admitted not having time to grade our papers during the break. You don't know how reassuring that was to hear! Whether your a professor or student, Post Break Blues is real. The Kuber Ross Model is a perfect illustration of the Post Break Blues.

1. Denial

Shocked

You have not opened your backpack all break, sis. You had a week: how do can you explain this? You give yourself all the excuses in the world to justify your unproductivity. "I'll do my homework after ____," you tell yourself, but almost always, you never follow through. I do not know why we bring our backpacks back home when 96% of us will not do work over the break.

2. Anger

Mad

You know damn well that it is your fault for procrastinating throughout the break. However, you will not admit it. Instead, you blame your professor for giving you a lot of work during the break. Some of the phrases include, but are not limited to the following: "WHAT THE F- IS MY PROFESSOR ON?" All the time you spent complaining about having work is the time you could have spent doing your work *sips tea*.

3. Bargaining 

Steal

You're cooling down from your rant because you know that is won't help you. It's Sunday afternoon and you are figuring out how to you can finish a project proposal, study for 2 quizzes, and read a 28-page reading by Monday morning. You say "if I give up at least two hours of sleep, then I will get everything done." At this point, you are determined to get your shit done.

4. Depression

scream

This is the moment when you realize the due dates are closer than you think. You still did not meet your quota because the expectations you set yourself are far from realistic. Cue panic attack.

5. Acceptance 

Do Better

Let's face it. You played yourself, sis. It's clear that you will not get a lot of sleep for a while. It doesn't help that the semester is coming to an end so finals and projects are coming up. Well, don't just sit there. Get your ass up and do some work!

Thanksgiving Break has to come to an end. The cycle of Post Break Blues effects even the best of us. All we can do is push through. Let's not have this happen to us on Spring Break! HA. Yeah, right.