3 Reasons Why You Should Travel Alone

3 Reasons Why You Should Travel Alone

"To travel is to live."

31
3 Reasons Why You Should Travel Alone
Alexis Mills

While it’s true that traveling with loved ones can make a magical trip, there is something about traveling to a completely new place by yourself that is unlike any other. I just took my first trip to 7 countries in 5 weeks in Europe, alone. Not in any program or with any friends, just myself and what I could carry on my back.

Before and during my trip, I got a range of reactions. People told me, “I didn’t realize how insane you were” or “Why are you traveling alone? That’s so sad”. But I got the opposite reaction aswell, like “That’s so admirable” or “If anyone is capable of doing it, it’s you”.

After hearing every kind of reaction to my trip, I let all of that go and made the trip all my own, forgetting what anyone else thought about it. And that is what makes traveling alone so empowering, it is not about what anyone else wants or thinks.

These are my top 3 reasons why I loved traveling alone.

1.You realize how capable you are

When I was preparing to take off, I was fearful of the unknown. But, when I landed and kept repeating in my head, “I can do this”. And each step of the way, I kept figuring it all out and each time I got lost, I knew I would find my way. And each time I made a small mistake, like taking a wrong turn, it was never an issue because I knew I would fix it on my own.

"Travel has made me more aware of me. I learn more about myself while on the road than anywhere else. It's given me the I can make it happen attitude." Jessica Johnson

2. You will meet so many more people

Being on your own, especially staying hostels, puts you in an environment where people from all around the world are looking to make friends. People are more willing to reach out and talk to someone when you are alone rather than when you are with a group of people. When you go with a group you don’t have as much of a need to socialize with the people around you. And now, after five weeks in Europe, I have friends all around the world.

3. The experience is completely your own

Traveling with people consists of compromising and discussing what to do and when to do it. But, when traveling alone you can do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it. You can make the trip into exactly what you want. You only have to cater to your own wants and needs. And while its nice to have someone there to experience things with, its also nice to be able to have complete control over your vacation time. You don’t have to live by anyone’s expectations, but your own.

For those who are scared of traveling alone, I highly recommend you gain the courage to do so. It will step you out of your comfort zone and be able to visit the places you have always wanted too without having to count on anyone, but yourself.