The Positive Side Of Long Distance Relationships

LDRs are hard, but finding some silver linings can put your mind at ease.

377
lifehack.org

LDRs (long distance relationships) are known to be impossible or very very difficult. And they are hard. However, there are silver linings to LDRs. So remain positive! LDRs can and have worked! And here's some of the perks of LDRs:

1. Your time together is more meaningful.

Quality time in person is so valued when it comes to a relationship. When LDR couples are separated and come back together, they realize how meaningful time is. If anything, good LDRs know how to live for the moment. Time together is a privilege, not a right, in any relationship. LDRs know how to spend their time together wisely and are super enthusiastic to see each other when given the chance. With a positive frame of mind, distance can make the heart grow fonder.

2. You can give or receive a non-biased opinion on personal issues.

One positive affects of being in an LDR is that, usually, you're both hanging out with different people that your other doesn't know or know well. In this case, an LDR can keep you grounded during a stressful situation. Not knowing the people in the situation could result in new perspectives on the other relationships in your life.

3. You get to learn how to be chill with being alone.

It is no secret that LDR's can be hard. One of your favorite people is not physically by your side. However, this creates some opportunity for some self love. Sometimes people get so caught up in a relationship that they forget how to maintain a relationship with themself. LDR provides romance and fun from a distance. This leaves the day to day motions to be faced alone. And that's okay. Being in an LDR can teach the power how to love and be loved while still maintaining independence. This can be a powerful plus for a healthy LDR. However, too much independence (such as getting so caught up in your life you don't speak as much to your LDR partner) can be dangerous. A healthy balance is key.

4. LDR's leaves plenty of room for friends.

For similar reasons above, some people get so caught up in relationships that they can neglect other relationships like friendships. A LDR leaves plenty of room to go out to dinner with friends or go out on a weekend when your LDR partner is busy.

5. Your relationship is tested.

I've seen quotes about how only the strongest couple can survive a long distance relationship. It may be true. Therefore, if you and your partner can maintain a positive LDR for a long period of time, then you both can be positive that there's something real and strong holding both of you together.

6. You can experience a relationship that goes beyond physical touch.

A wise woman I know, who maintained a LDR all throughout college, once told me that couples who go into LDRs must know how to be friends first and foremost with their LDR partner. I found this so be so revealing. Physical touch is so important in a relationship. However, in an LDR, an emphasis needs to be put on intellectual and social attraction, which is very similar to a friend (with the exception that a relationship runs deeper). An LDR can even help you learn more about your partner than you ever thought possible. Physical touch with your partner doesn't last forever, but a deep rooted, intellectual attraction could last for a lifetime.