16 Positive Qualities Of Millennials

16 Positive Qualities Of Millennials

We aren't all "me, me, me."
28358

If you have seen the numerous articles centered on millennials put out by various mainstream news outlets or have ever had to sit through a lecture from a parent, grandparent, or teacher listing off all the reasons why your generation has fallen short, you probably are aware then that millennials have a pretty negative image. I have seen some great pieces written in the defense of the millennial generation, but they tend to get lost in a sea of negativity. I acknowledge that this generation, like every other generation to come before us, has its own set of flaws and shortcomings. But we still have a lot to offer. So here is some great qualities and characteristics typically found in someone belonging to the millennial generation:

1. Adventurous

A lot of millennials seem to suffer from a serious case of wanderlust. We want to see the world - experience different cultures, try new foods, and make memories that will last a lifetime.

2. Ambitious

We may be called dreamers, but we should also be called achievers. Some of us might have what others might call "unrealistic" expectations for our future, but we are very willing to get ourselves there.

3. Confident

Other generations might want to label our confidence as being "cocky" or "arrogant" - but that's just not being fair. There's nothing wrong in making goals and being confident that you will be able to obtain them.

4. Conscious

Being a member of the generation that knows all about various social media platforms, we are well aware of the fact that what we put out is fair game for multiple interpretations. As a result, we are conscious of our actions.

5. Collaborative

With our schooling having an intense focus on working with others for both in-class activities and high-stakes projects, even the most introverted millennials know how to properly work with others, and this is an important skill to have.

6. Educated

Our schooling is probably more rigorous than what our parents experienced, and even though that means that they might not be able to help us with our math homework, it gives us an edge in the long run.

7. Idealistic

No matter what state the world is in, we know that we want to help make the world a better place.

8. Independent

People might like to think that we are exclusively reliant on our parents' money, but we do know how to fare for ourselves. We are okay with going places by ourselves and are more than comfortable going on a drive with just ourselves as company.

9. Motivated

Contrary to popular belief, we aren't all lazy. We know that the workplace is only becoming more and more competitive, which is why we work hard towards earning good grades, gaining internships, and helping fill out our resume as much as possible.

10. Multi-Tasking

Instead of complaining that our eyes are always glued to our phones, maybe others should recognize the fact that we can communicate with friends over social media, hold a decent conversation face-to-face, and enjoy a movie on TV all at the same. We can also work on multiple assignments at once as well.

11. Open-Mindedness

We are well aware that our personal experiences and beliefs are not universal experiences and beliefs, and most of us are willing to expand our perspective of the world.

12. Passionate

We know that pursuing hobbies that we care about is an important part of our personal growth and development.

13. Polite

One thing that I never understand is how older generations always complain that us millennials are so rude and careless. Though this is probably true for some, I've observed the opposite. We tend to recognize the authority of others and show the respect that they deserve.

14. Problem-Solving

Life is full of unseen obstacles, and it's essential to be able to solve these problems instead of just walking away. Being natural innovators, millennials are always willing to take a crack at any problem they might face.

15. Tech-Savvy

It's no secret that we are the generation that is the most adaptable to the technology that is currently available. While our parents might not understand how to operate Snapchat - or maybe even their iPhones in general - we just get it.

16. Trailblazing

We are the generation that everyone has their eyes on right now, like it or not. That means we are being observed in how we navigate our way through this crazy journey called life.

The millennial generation is probably one of the most misunderstood generations out there right now. We are labeled as lazy, self-indulgent, self-obsessed, and dependent, among other unflattering descriptions. I'm not trying to completely dismiss these perceptions since they can be true for some millennials out there. But I think we should also be aware of the fact that we do indeed have positive qualities too.