The Positive Aspects To Having 8 A.M. Classes

Early classes aren't so bad.

31

Nobody likes having 8 a.m. classes. They seem like the worst possible way to begin your day, especially at that time. While it can be difficult to stay awake during 8 a.m.’s, there are positive aspects to starting off your weekdays so early.

Waking up in time to feel the coolest temperature of the day. In the summer when it’s a blazing 85 degrees outside by noon, waking up at 8 a.m. and being able to walk to class at a comfortable temperature is a blessing. Even in the fall and winter, while that 7:30 am temperature is chilly, it still feels absolutely amazing and really gives you a reason to wear your favorite jacket and jeans.

Not many others are around. You can walk to class without worrying about running into anybody that wants to talk to you. At 7:30 am this is always a plus. You can enjoy a quick breakfast and/or coffee by yourself. Take the beginning of the day to relax before going to class. Even in class, no one will want to talk because it is 8 a.m. If you are that person that does talk at 8 a.m., stop. No one else wants to talk at, or before, 8 a.m.

For commuters, there is always parking. If you commute to school, you know that parking is an eternal struggle. There is never ever parking when you need it, which then makes you late to class and it is just a big pain. Because everyone tries to avoid 8 a.m.’s, there is more parking available than during any other time of the day. It’s very nice to not fight for parking during the early hours of the morning.

You, hopefully, get done with your classes earlier in the day. If you start your classes earlier, depending on the availability, you may be able to be done with classes by noon. That way you have the rest of your day to go to work, do homework, study, nap, or do whatever else it is you do in your spare time.

Ultimately, the real world will not wait to you adjust your sleep schedule after you graduate and get a full-time job, You will have to get used to waking up early. Why not get used to that now instead of waiting later on and having a more difficult adjustment period after graduation? Do the difficult work now of getting yourself used to waking up so that later on it is easier to do so.

If worse comes to worse, most 8 a.m. professors do not take attendance, so you could always skip and sleep in if you really need to.

Taking 8 a.m. classes now will be worth it later, and honestly are worth it now. Most are more motivated earlier in the morning than later in the day. You can always take a nap after your 8 a.m. class if you’re still exhausted. I am convinced that coffee tastes better at 7:30 a.m. also.