18 Positive Affirmations To Change How You Think About Yourself

You matter. Choose yourself.

668
pexels

I’ve been in a funk for years. I haven't been kind to myself. I haven't been taking care of myself. I haven't been showing myself the love I deserve. I’ve been unhappy and telling myself that things would turn around, but not actually taking the steps needed to change that. A month ago, I stumbled upon the book Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E.P. Seligman. The book speaks on how anyone can practice optimism and that it enhances the quality of life. This book offers tips to break out of that constant state of depression. It offers tips on how to engage in optimism in school, in work, and in dealing with others. I was confused while reading because I knew that positive affirmation could definitely support positive thinking, but I didn't realize that if you dedicate enough time to practicing positivity, it could actually change your way of thinking. I breezed through this book. I shut myself off to everyone and everything and finished the book in 2 days.

I learned that lack of self-love is a contributing factor to the disease that is mental illness and that positive affirmation is a contributing factor to the healing of mental illness. I learned that the power of positive affirmation is supported through science. When affirmation (good or bad) are practiced enough (basically auto-suggestion), they evoke change in neural connections. In short, our thoughts can change the structure of our brain. So if you flood your brain with positivity, positivity will radiate in your life.

Every day for 3 weeks, I’ve been practicing said affirmations. How do these affirmation work? It’s simple. To start, find about two affirmations to focus on for a few weeks. Say them out loud. Say them as often as you can. Say them in the mirror. Write them down and be sure to put them in present tense. You have to believe that they are a reality.

Here are 18 affirmations you can practice to reroute your brain and change your life:

1. "I am worth of self-care and love."

2. "I choose to be with people who bring out nothing but my very best."

3. "I don't have to be in control of everything. I am divinely supported."

4. "My time is valuable."

5. "I deserve consistency, peace of mind, and moments of silence."

6. "There is a blessing in every breath I take."

7. "My struggles are worth the blessings in the end."

8. "My heart will heal from whatever has broken in."

9. "Today will be amazing and I will do my best to keep it that way."

10. "Being happy is the end goal."

11. "I am allowed to let go."

12. "My hard work, humility, and persistence will pay off."

13. "Self-celebration is necessary."

14. "I deserve a joyous life!"

15. "Life is good."

16. "I am brave enough to find balance in my life."

17. "I am allowed to be great and not feel guilty about it."

18. "I am valuable."