Portuguese Problems

Portuguese Problems

"Call Your Tia Maria"
112

Portugal... a country celebrated for its rich Iberian culture and food, talented soccer players, breathtaking cities and villages, and being mistaken for a miniscule version of Spain.

Portuguese people are a unique specimen; you never know what to expect from them. With that being said, there are specific occurences that all Portuguese people can relate too. If you are a fellow Pork Chop, you most likely have experienced each of these issues at least once in your life. Just kidding... I KNOW you have.

1. "Are you Spanish?"

No, I am Portuguese. Say it with me...P-O-R-T-U-G-U-E-S-E from P-O-R-T-U-G-A-L. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt however, since Portugal and Spain were at one point the same nation under the same crown (hence why some Pork Chops may refer to themselves as Hispanic), and the cultures are basically one in the same.

2. Too Many Tia Maria's To Count

Everyone has a Tia Maria. Correction: Everyone has MORE than one Tia Maria. Need a babysitter? Tia Maria is available. Need someone to help plan a party? You have another Tia Maria. So many Tia Maria's you can't keep track of them.

3. You Are Automatically a HUGE Soccer Fan

We won the 2016 European Cup, we have Cristiano Ronaldo and Jose Mourinho, and multiple futebol rivalries. If you don't like soccer, than you have to at least act like you do... or else.

4. You Actually Help Your Mom Clean the House

Just kidding. You might think you do but she's always complaining about how no one helps her. Same goes for the cooking.

5. The Son Can Borrow the BMW But the Daughter Can't

"Why do you need the BMW? To go shopping? Read a book and do homework." Also, can we take the time to try to understand why most Pork Chops own a BMW?

6. "Stop Yelling"

"I'm Portuguese, this is my inside voice."

7. Always the Last Ones to Arrive

If you want us to arrive at 6:30, then tell us to come at 6...we will arrive at 6:30.

But in the end, no matter how stressful (and hard) it might be to be Portuguese, deep down, we all love it (plus all the vacations back to the Motherland).