Popular People versus Good Leaders

Popular People versus Good Leaders

More friends aren't necessarily better friends

346
Popular People versus Good Leaders
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/10/636512159524023555-1028789060_hacksaw-ridge-58187728afda4.jpg

Every day in high school, I see popular boys hanging out with girls, and the girls love to be with the popular boys. Also, I see popular girls hanging out with a ton of friends. When a popular boy or girl approaches a group of friends, the friends will rush towards them and either hug or high five. Now, what if they were a regular friend? How would they react? They would say something like this: "hi", "oh, hey", or "what's up" and that's it. Why do people like popular boys or girls? Is it because of their reputation or status? Their looks? Their social skills? People like to hangout with popular schoolkids rather than their friends. But here's a question, would you rather be with a popular person or with a good leader?

Allow me to introduce Desmond Doss. He was a combat medic assigned to the 2nd platoon, Company B, 1st Battalion, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division. Doss was not popular because he refused to carry a weapon. He was beaten up by his fellow soldier. The captain wanted to discharge Doss because he was a disgrace to the army. He was even court-martial for his convictions. But Doss remained in the army and was shipped to Okinawa to fight.

During the Battle of Hacksaw Ridge, the Americans launched their first attack. The Americans did take some land but suffered massive casualties. On the next day, the Japanese launched their attack, driving the Americans back to where they started. But Doss went back to the battlefield to rescue the wounded because of God's calling. As a result, Doss rescued 75 wounded soldiers from the battlefield. Doss proved his men were wrong about his cowardice. The captain apologized for his stubbornness of calling Doss a coward and praises him as a good leader. Good leaders need to prove themselves. When it was time to go back up Hacksaw Ridge to launch a second attack, the men refused to go without Doss. What Doss did during the first attack inspired the men. The men needed Doss to lead the second attack. When a leader truly leads and proves themselves in real situations, people will follow.

Good leaders have good friends. Good friends that a leader can trust. Good friends that a leader can talk to and express their emotions and feelings. Good friends that a leader can love and respect as brothers and sisters. On the other hand, popular people have friends but don't have good friends. Why? You have so many friends that you don't have time to have a good conversation with a person.

See my cover page? That is leadership. Doss turned back in the battlefield to perform what men can't do: rescuing 75 wounded soldiers. What Doss did up there inspired the men to follow him. Be like Doss. Be a good leader. Show an example that people will follow you. Don't attempt to be popular. In fact, don't be a popular person. Popular people want to get as many friends to like them and care about themselves more than others. Being popular is having pride in oneself. 1 John 2;16 says, "For all that is in the world- the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life- is not from the Father but is from the world". Don't show pride. Show humbleness. Show caring. Show kindness. Show respect. Show love. And most of all, show the love of God.

Popularity does not come from popular schoolkids. Popularity comes from leaders who make a difference. Doss was not popular until he became popular because he demonstrated good leadership skills. So let me ask you this question, would you rather want people to like you or follow you?