Polarization
Politics

Polarization

The story of Americanness today.

69
https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/american-vintage
Tumblr

You are who I think you are. There is no doubt in my mind who you are because you are nothing like me. I am good and you are bad. This is right and that is wrong.

When I look at you I see Brett Kavanaugh and I determine that you have never been the Prey. So you, with your Predatorial disposition, put on your Rose colored glasses and tell me who I am.

Ideologies determine what we believe and how we act. Humans necessarily cling to ideologies in order to make sense of the unexplainable; deconstructionist theory, essentially how words fail to mimic our deepest convictions, has been reinforced since the birth of written Narrative. (We agree upon the Epic of Gilgamesh if you are so inclined to read up on our first "short story," if you will, from 2100 BC. ) So, what we say or write will never confidently match our beliefs. (Depressing, I know. You wonder why most famous authors have drinking problems. But I digress.)

If you accept this theory, your infallible personal doctrine of values and beliefs is of the essence. People rarely deconstruct their worldview to discern whether their ideologies are truly theirs. We do not know who we are so we tell others who they are. And then we learn from an English major that what we are saying about other people can't actually define those impersonal beliefs to begin with. Polarizing, isn't it?

I have paid close attention to Republican candidates' in-house conflict with Trump's association. John Cox, running for California governor, began his campaign divorced from Trump; however, Cox now keeps Trump at arm's length in order to satisfy staunch Republicans. In a rally I attended, Cox strongly stated, "Let's make California great again!" The businessman "praised Trump for the strong economy, but he contends "'I'm running my own campaign here.'" Politicians' dance around Trump's name creates a new campaigning discourse; for many young voters I have talked to, their bottom line is - he/she identifies with Trump. I certainly cannot pass judgment, Republican candidates know they are "Trump's little brother/sister" on a new race "campus." I advocate every voter to take a closer reading, dare to step beyond Trump; it is our responsibility to minimize the gap.

In 2014, Pew Research Center conducted a series of investigations to conclude demographic-information relationships. In a year-long study, the Center discovered the American public tends to receive political and government news from "the news media, social media and the way people talk about politics with friends and family. Sure enough, Democrats and Republicans consume "information streams that are distinct from those of individuals with more mixed political views – and very distinct from each other." Source diversity is not in itself evil; rather, the intense, violent, and guarded polarized sourcing implies danger.

Political party commitment replaces nationalism. Have we taken our safety for granted and created a playground from what originated as a battleground? Arguments regarding My truth and Their fallacies rip at the seams. Who gets to move forward? Who does the United States of America belong to now? The days of unity are over. Unless, of course, a high school gets shot up. All of a sudden, we extend "thoughts and prayers" across party lines and for a moment in time, we escape the trappings of our small minds. Then, we point fingers on Instagram and Twitter, endorsing the Kendall Jenners of our society to throw on advocacy shirts and talk our big talk without realizing it is simultaneously deconstructing itself. Working well, isn't it? We all have small minds. We need to wake up and act up.

Who does the United States of America belong to now? Congratulations, you won. Now you are the Predator and I am the Prey so everyone put on their Rose Colored Glasses and we will sit in the Gun Candy Shop, dance to the beat of Fox News or CNN, and cry wolf.

The United States of America belongs to those who are prepared to reclaim a responsibility to stand up and fight for our community rather than sit down and laugh about our discontinuity.