Political Ideology= Identity

Political Ideology= Identity

Affiliate of the Socialist Movement

14
Political Ideology= Identity
Shelby Williams

If I were to further identify myself I would choose not to go much into depth. There has to be a line drawn somewhere in regards to professionalism. However, this safe space I have created is directed towards an audience that is both understanding and willing to give my radical political views a shot. As a woman of color within the Black community, a majority of my relatives and acquaintances choose to identify themselves with the Democratic party. Which isn’t wrong nor right, yet it seems to be an obligatory thing for most Blacks to identify with that political party considering the type of stigma it has long held throughout America's many elections/ revolutions. Where it has directed its interests towards “Helping The Un- Represented”. For example, as compared to the Republican party, the Democratic party is perceived to be the “Popular Liberal Party”, the political group that consistently raves about having government funded social services, less taxation on the poor, and individualistic rights most minority groups deserve to have access to. A blue stripe that fought for all things better for communities that are not within the elite. They are thought to be the god given child in a family of devout Christians. They are looked at as the savior of the American people, having citizens believe the Democratic party is the only party within the country to have true democratic values. Given its reputation, I can not validate if this widely believed notion is true or not yet I can openly state my own perceptions of the political party and what l identify with in terms of political allegiance. As a first generation immigrant and a woman of color that has been raised in a one parent household I have not been able to taste the fruitful opportunities America had to offer the rest of its citizens - Instead I had to struggle and partake in a more submissive role that was expected of me to fulfill. Which was the angry Black child that never understood the poor math concepts taught in underfunded public schools. Then as a confused adolescent that had no ties to her own culture, something that was wiped out from my education. So I suffered a bit with an identity crisis of what I thought I was and what America wanted for me to be. I also played a role in the infamous, “Make America Great Again” play starring angry white Rural and uneducated Americans as heroes and everyone else starring as the enemy, everyone else being: Feminists, Immigrants, Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, Gays, and people that has ever relied on government funded public/health services such as Planned Parenthood, Welfare,etc. You see, I don’t think I can ever count as a hero in this play when it is apparent who the evil doers really are- Please hint the sarcasm.

Perspectively, I do not acknowledge any of the two major political parties, those being the Democrats and Republicans, as the true saviors of American Politics. I don't look at either to be beacons of Western- Individualistic Democratic values. Also no, I will not compare the two holistically on which has served more justice to the American people. - In recent years, the Democratic party has been exercising some minor justices for a more liberal approach (i.e The Democratic election platform in the past three elections.) Having president Barack Obama admitting services, such as Obamacare and legalizing same sex marriages across the nation … Also having democratic representative, Hillary Clinton speak openly during her 2016 presidential campaign on social issues that lean aggressively to the left - Yet I don’t think I understand it all myself. The whole argument seems sketchy - After all, the Democratic party has been tied to some shady processes and political action. For example, the Clinton administration has tainted the Democratic name with being credited to coining mass incarceration. A not so nice “Public Service”, which has placed a bad taste in the mouths of many - It's hard to imagine a party being for the people after a stunt like that, a process that further targeted the country’s citizens to maltreatment.

Knowing that I don’t think I could pledge my allegiance to that party, and it doesn’t mean I would pledge my allegiance to the Republicans either. Based off of my rhetoric it is safe to assume which political party I affiliate myself with. Yes, as a woman of color I pledge my allegiance to the Socialist Group, the scary closely tied communist party that seems to strike a wrong sound in the ears of many Americans. But I assure you, the reader, that the Socialist movement is more than a bunch of commi jargon. That the third party is for everyone. For basic civil rights, appealing the muslim ban, social justice, minority groups, collectivism, and yes all things morally justified to be of good nature.

It almost seems taboo for me. As a black woman to identify with a group that most would say is for White academics that only want to discuss the creation of Communism/Socialism by Stalin and all that - but that's not what socialism really is. That's a misconception, along with other beliefs about a political movement that has long existed for the unity and strength of the people by the people.