The Weight Of Political Emotions

The Weight Of Political Emotions

Personal beliefs don't always coincide with given political options.

10
The Weight Of Political Emotions
Alanna Hurley

If you haven't been living under a rock, you are quite aware that Donald Trump was elected president of the United States. You are also aware that many people are extremely unhappy about this, the protests and rallies happening all over the country say it all. These protests mainly fueled by extreme emotions, have made me realize something. Politics are looked at emotionally, rather than logically.

Throughout this election I've heard people say things like, "A woman would be dumb not to vote for Hillary, we need a female president!," "You're a racist if you vote for Trump!," "If you like Hillary you're a liar!" "You can't be for LGBT rights and for Donald Trump!" None of which is true. First off, basing your vote off of someone's gender, race, or ethnicity is, in fact, racist and stereotypical. Second, you're not automatically racist because you voted for Trump. You're racist if you discriminate someone based on their race or ethnicity, which last time I checked filling in a box on a voting ballot is not racist, no matter who's name is in it. Third, we're not perfect, we're human, so if you're human you probably are a liar, but it's not because you voted for Hillary Clinton. Last, you can be for whatever you want, just because of someone supports, or votes for a specific candidate, it doesn't mean they're stripped of their right to support any community they believe in or are a part of.

The majority of people I've spoken to when it comes to politics have extreme views from either side. There are a rare few who I've had the pleasure of speaking with who can speak calmly and be open minded about their political views. Even I get caught up in the heat of the moment sometimes. But that's it, we're talking about the future of our country, our world. We have to stop getting caught in the heat of the moment and learn to stay level headed and peaceful in this world of chaos, our future depends on it.

As someone who cannot vote, it's been difficult to watch all of these events take place and not be able to do very much. I've learned how important it is, or will be, to do my part as an American citizen and vote. Knowing that others fought for my right to simply put a pen to a piece of paper is so empowering, I have a say, a chance to use my voice, and I don't ever want to waste an opportunity like that. Besides not being able to participate, I've taken a lot away from this election, but the most important thing I've learned is tolerance. The only way to achieve peace is through acceptance of others differences, opinions, and views, and to stop hating on whoever disagrees with us.

The very last thing I want to say is no one is entitled to the knowledge of who you voted for and what you believe, you are allowed to think and feel any way you want about this election, or anything for that matter. This is my view and if you disagree that's okay, you're allowed to, just don't try to force your opinions on me because the reality is, I probably won't change my mind.