5 Essential Items in a Police Vehicle

5 Essential Items in a Police Vehicle

Ever wonder what's inside a police car?

16
Police vehicle with flashing lights

When you see a police car drive by, you are probably more concerned about it pulling you over than you are about what is actually inside the vehicle. However, during the course of their day, police officers rely on many different items to keep them and the public safe. If you are curious about just what may be in those police cars you see each day, here are five essential items contained in almost all police vehicles.

Safety Equipment

Since police never know what types of situations they may encounter, they need various types of safety equipment in their vehicles. This usually includes a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, flares, and an AED, which can be used to assist individuals who are experiencing a heart attack.

Emergency Lights

Police vehicles also need various types of emergency lights. These include the standard red and blue police lights found on the top of most vehicles, along with various other emergency lights on the vehicle's interior to make them stand out even more when responding to a call. Officers also always have at least one flashlight and spotlight with them in their vehicle, which can be useful when searching for suspects.

Laptop Computer

No modern police vehicle today is on the road without a laptop computer. Used by officers to access emails and files, these computers can pull up your driver's license and other information about you if you are pulled over for a possible violation. The computers can also access the Police National Computer, which lets officers find out about past warrants and other crucial information.

Radar Gun

When police are checking the speeds of drivers, they do so by using a state-of-the-art radar gun. Costing anywhere from $1,000-$3,000 or more, these high-tech pieces of equipment can be crucial in regards to evidence being used in court cases involving auto accidents.

Two-Way Radio

Finally, a two-way radio is arguably the most essential piece of equipment inside a police vehicle. Allowing officers to communicate directly with other patrol units and central dispatch, the two-way radio can literally be the difference between life and death in some situations. While most officers have radios they wear on their uniforms, some vehicles also contain mobile radios that can be used when officers are pursuing a suspect.

The next time you notice a police vehicle cruising through your town or city, take a moment and think about these essential items contained in the vehicle. When you do, you may have an even greater appreciation for what police officers do day in and day out.