Pokemon Go: Is it Worth It?

Pokemon Go: Is it Worth It?

Before you get the game, understand what you're getting first!

6
Pokemon Go: Is it Worth It?
The Official Pokemon Channel

Ever since the mobile game was first announced in 2015, the hype for Pokemon Go has been unbelievable. Fans new and old rejoiced as it was first launched in Australia and New Zealand on July 7, and then the United States on July 8. However, does the game really live up the hype it has generated? Here are some details for you to keep in mind before getting Pokemon Go.

Pokemon Go is innovative for the series, and fun! I was just as excited as the next person to get this game as soon as it came out. Like it advertised, you can catch you favorite Pokemon in real life based on realistic locations you can find them; for example, you can find a Gyarados near a body of water, or catch a Dark-type Pokemon at night. It can be especially fun with friends as you battle, travel around, and compete with others. Another great benefit is that it makes you active as well!

As a hardcore fan, you may be ready for some disappointments if you are expecting a lot. First, there are mostly Kanto region Pokemon, or the original 151 Pokemon, available right now. Nothing has confirmed or denied that they will add more Pokemon down the line.

The convoluted battle system we all know and love did not translate wholly over into Go, but that is because it is a general mobile game for newcomers as well. Since it is an augmented reality game, and something pretty new for Nintendo, they want to test the waters first, while also delivering a great experience.

It depends on where you live. Ultimately, this game really depends on your mobility and environment. By mobility, I mean the extent of where you can actually go in your neighborhood, community, etc. just to play the game. Both of those elements go hand-in-hand, considering some people may live in dangerous areas, or may wander into a strange, unfamiliar locations. Also, do not count on your parent or friend to burn miles just for you to play Pokemon Go. If possible, go with a friend to a park, or open public location.

Oh, those microtransactions. What is a mobile game without microtransactions? Even though microtransactions can cause some division, it is necessary to keep the game "free", especially since it does not advertise that much. Some people have claimed that others get an unfair advantage, while others find it useful when there are little Pokemon in the area. You can see the list of in-app purchases and their prices here.

Servers are still a work in progress. Many .gifs, tweets, and internet posts I have seen about Pokemon Go has been related to two things: driving and the servers. Possibly because of massive traffic on the app, the servers have been a big issue since launch. However, Niantic are still working to resolve the issue, even if that means some countries will not be getting it for a few days.

Safety concerns. Even though the game has been out briefly, a variety of concerns has popped up while people are playing. Driving has been a number one priority, even though accidents have not been reported. Even the Washington Department of Transportation had to caution players about playing behind the wheel. Attentiveness and wandering alone, or in unfamiliar areas, are a part of these concerns. So, just be very aware of your surroundings, and do NOT play Go and drive!

If you can not enjoy the game, enjoy the memes! I did not get the game immediately because I had to make room on my phone, but I did happen to treat myself to some funny Internet posts and memes related to the game. The most hilarious ones I have encountered have been from people's actual experiences, from a man finding a Pidgey before his wife gave birth, to jobs banning the game for distracting employees. The game has not been out for a week and it is already popular on the Internet!

In summary, this is fun mobile game that could be very enjoyable if you are in the right location. Do not have high expectations if you are looking for a genuine Pokemon experience, since it is experimental and meant for everyone new and old. Until Niantic (the company that co-developed Pokemon Go) gets their servers together, I believe the game has some good potential and has left a good impression on some people. Just make sure to be extremely careful, and have a rechargeable battery for your phone!