"Pokémon Go"-ing Too Far?

"Pokémon Go"-ing Too Far?

A proposed law may stop related vandalism.

15
"Pokémon Go"-ing Too Far?
CNET.com

With the launch of the app in July 2016, it seems like the world is infected with Pokémon fever. People flock to stores to buy Pokémon products. They flood the internet with game nostalgia. Even shops and restaurants have been taking advantage, giving out perks to dedicated players.

Although this is fun, the game sparked much controversy since its release. Notably are the reports of trespassing and vandalism. This is such a problem that there is currently a law on the table, proposed in late August by Illinois State Representative, Kelly Cassidy, known as "Pidgey’s Law." This would allow game developers two days to take down a location-specific site from their games if requested by the property’s owner. Afterwards, they will have to pay up to $100 each day until it is removed. This could spell trouble for Niantic, Pokémon Go’s developer, if it is passed.

Joseph Carbone, a New York State criminal defense attorney in Farmingdale, believes that Pidgey’s Law is a good idea. “It has the same premise as a do-not-call list,” he stated. “It will help stop harassment.”

This is a positive aspect of the potential law, but Carbone believes that it should only apply to private property, as there is validity in discouraging the app from causing trespassing. If there is damage on public property, however, there should be more focus on finding the person responsible rather than blaming the developers. Said Carbone, “It is the responsibility of the player to not commit crimes.”

Joseph Koehler, a junior computer science major with a concentration in game design at Adelphi University, agrees that trespassing and vandalism have occurred from the game. “Niantic should have had foresight,” Koehler said.

He said there are certain aspects of the game that could be improved and should be changed. Although some problems stem from Niantic’s own failing, he believes that is less of the developer’s problem and more of a failing on the behalf of the player. “Do not go onto private property,” he said. “If you’re not sure whether or not you’re trespassing, just don’t go. Niantic can’t tell what is and isn’t private property. The player must decide what is right.”

While there have certainly been problems, not all of the game’s reception has been negative. Many business owners enjoy using the game to help boost sales. Many locations have not had poor experiences due to the game. Christine Fortier, owner of Maureen’s Kitchen in Smithtown, recently discovered that her restaurant hosts a Pokémon Go gym. A gym is a hotspot location for players to battle their pokémon, level up, and win in-game rewards. She said her restaurant is always very busy, yet she has never felt threatened due to the app: “It’s been all fun, so I’m not worried.”

Pokémon Go has become widely popular since its release, but with that popularity comes the danger of user error. Most people enjoy the app without any problems, but some are not as lucky. While it may not directly be their fault, people feel that Niantic should take responsibility for the wrongdoings that have occurred.

Although people have complained, Niantic does not want to be responsible for the actions of their game’s players. Carbone stated, “Maybe they should have thought of that before developing such a dopey game.”