Poetry on Odyssey: Trapped in Reality

Poetry on Odyssey: Trapped in Reality

Trapped inside a reality of my own.

292
Poetry on Odyssey: Trapped in Reality
via unsplash

I’m losing my mind with each passing day. The daily routines and meaningless conversations pivot to boredom and despair. I’m stuck in a strange age range, nineteen to twenty-one, where you feel like you have to have your life together while you’re supposed to live your best life as well.

Which is no wonder why, more than ever, I can’t help to think that I’m meant to do something more.

Am I the only one who craves for an intimate connection? Intimate doesn’t have to be sexual. Just giving your time to someone, getting to know them on a deeply personal level. You see, this generation doesn't grasp this idea. Most relationships fail because there isn’t a firm foundation for when things go left.

This generation has come up with something that is starting to replace dating.

The “talking stage” can go one of two ways:

1. A convenient way to get to know someone without seriously committing to anything. You’re able to “feel” out the individual by just talking with them and see where it goes from there. You get to learn everything about them. The qualities that make them unique.
  2. It’s also inconvenient because it’s often used as an excuse. It’s often a waste of time because sometimes don’t know what they want. Either they want relationship tendencies but aren’t down for the actual title.

Another ridiculous thing is “relationship goals.”

1. Social media has put unrealistic views on what a relationship should be like. For example, mostly on Facebook and Instagram, you’ll see couples smoking or drinking together. Or they usually romanticize celebrities, which isn't always the best thing to do. For one thing, you never know what’s going on behind closed doors.
  2. Also, many pictures and music lyrics from genres such as rap and hip-pop also depict women as sexual objects and less than humans in a sense. In most of the lyrics, they refer to females as “bitches” which becomes the norm in both male and even females to refer to themselves or others with this expletive term.
  3. Lastly, social media has made it “acceptable” to not show any emotions. It has already been prevalent in males but now its trending females as well. Relationships don’t last long nowadays because of the lack of efficient communication. How can you expect someone to know how you feel, if you don’t verbally tell them. News flash: people aren’t mind readers.

This generation needs to stop rushing into things. We’re young and we have a whole life ahead of us.