A Memoir: "Musing What I'm Missing"

A Memoir: "Musing What I'm Missing"

A poem from the perspective of a high school student transitioning to college.
376

I'll miss all the freckles that dance on my nose

I'll miss the warm sunshine and how the corn grows,

I'll miss my flyaway locks of spun-honey gold,

I'll miss jumping in leaves and the air growing cold.

I'll miss boots on my feet and braids in my hair,

I'll miss costumes and pumpkins and candy to share,

I'll miss Nana's pie when thankfulness thrives,

I'll miss those first snowflakes when winter arrives.

I'll miss the late night when we set up the tree,

I'll miss all my family smiling at me,

I'll miss the big snowman who resides on our lawn,

I'll miss the mud when the snow's finally gone.

I'll miss those first robins, chirping with glee,

I'll miss the pink buds that bloom on our tree,

I'll miss being yelled at to get out of bed,

I'll miss all the poems and books that I read.

I'll miss our piano—its bench always out,

I'll miss the thunder and light all about,

I'll miss my neat closet with dresses and skirts,

I'll miss when my pjs were over-sized shirts.

I'll miss sitting up in the chair at the pool,

I'll miss every friend I made in high school,

I'll miss my mom and my dad and my dog,

I'll miss my siblings—seven bumps on a log.

I'll miss my carpet and four purple walls,

I'll miss when my brother sings in the halls,

I'll miss having Pinterest projects to plan,

I'll miss driving 'round in our big, ugly van.

I'll miss all I have and I'll prob'ly miss more,

I'll even miss things I've not thought of before.

I'll miss all my missing the guy I've not met,

I'll miss how he's missing not meeting me yet.

I know the world has not come to an end,

I'm turning a corner, rounding a bend,

They say that I'd miss how I'm gaining more knowledge,

I act like I'm dying, but I'm going to college.

Cover Image Credit: Hallie Spore

To The Girl Who Isn't Graduating On Time, It Won't Feel Any Less Amazing When You Do

Graduating is something to be proud of no matter how long it takes you.

35734

To the girl who isn't graduating college "on time,"

I promise, you will get there eventually, and you will walk across that graduation stage with the biggest smile on your face.

You may have a different journey than the people you grew up with, and that is OKAY. You may have some twists and turns along the way, a few too many major changes, a life change, you may have taken most of a semester off to try to figure your life out, and you're doing the best you can.

Your family and your friends don't think less of you or your accomplishments, they are proud of your determination to get your degree.

They are proud of the woman you are becoming. They don't think of you as a failure or as someone any less awesome than you are. You're getting your degree, you're making moves towards your dreams and the life that you have always wanted, so please stop beating yourself up while you see people graduating college on time and getting a job or buying a car.

Your time will come, you just keep doing what you need to do in order to get on that graduation stage.

Your path is set out for you, and you will get there with time but also with patience. The place you're at right now is where you are supposed to be. You are going to thrive and you are going to be the best version of you when you graduate and start looking for a company that you will be proud to work for. Don't look on social media and feel less than, because at least you're still working towards your degree that you are finally passionate about. You will be prepared. You will be ready once the time comes and you cross the stage, move away, and start your journey in whatever field you're going into.

Don't question yourself, and be confident in your abilities.

With love,

A girl who isn't graduating on time