Poetry on Odyssey: Defining Depression

Poetry On Odyssey: Defining Depression

Depression: (noun) a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act.

79
scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com
Instagram

It's not as black and white as most people think.

It's not, She Was Feeling Happy The Day Before, What Changed?

It's not about what you have, or what you don't.

It's not, Her Life Was So Perfect, She Had Everything. She Had No Reason To Do Such A Thing.

or, She's So Selfish To Leave Her Loved Ones Behind Like That.

It's none of that.

It doesn't discriminate, It takes as It pleases.

It doesn't make you selfish, conceited, right or wrong.

It's like brain cancer; it cannot be seen by other people and their naked eyes,

It cannot be detected by other people when they look at you, not really.

imagine if cancer of the brain was a visible disease; starting in one spot, growing all over your head and face, eventually taking over, killing what life was left.

people pointing out left and right, That Cancer Sure Seems To Be Growing On You!

It's like cancer?

It is cancer.

It's like if there were a storm cloud constantly hovering over you, even on your brightest days.

It would brew violent storms of lighting and thunder on your worst days, maybe a light drizzle or an overcast on your best ones.

It's always there, regardless of what sort of day you have.

It enslaves you; makes you a puppet to its Master.

It changes your thoughts, moods, actions, reactions. Your lifestyle.

It's not always about getting attention or not getting enough attention.

you can call out, make a cry for help. Searching, asking, begging for help.

It will silence you, Nobody Cares.

even if help finds you or you find it, it's the same speech over and over again. I'm Always Here If You Need To Talk.

but are they, are they really?

if you can speak before It silences you then it won't matter because nobody will really believe you.

same advice, over and over and over again. I'm Always Here If You Need To Talk.

It pulls on your feet, dragging you deeper and deeper into an abyss in the ocean while you watch others around you breathing just fine.

You seemed so happy the day before. What changed?

It reached the bottom. No more struggle, no more cries for help, no more… anything.

It no longer bothers you, It has relinquished its grasp and moved on, leaving you at the bottom of the dark abyss.

Your pain is gone, but it is passed on.

Its cycle will carry on.

She Was Feeling Happy The Day Before, What Changed?

In memoriam of everyone who has ever committed suicide because they felt like life wasn't worth living.

For everyone else, life gets better. Please just be here to see it through.

Depression Text Hotline

Suicide Prevention Lifeline