The Perfect Connection

Poetry On Odyssey: You Say

You say you feel as though you are nothing. I say no, you are everything.

45

You say you are as boring as a regular cup of coffee. I say you are a vanilla latte, steamed to perfection with the strongest, smoothest espresso a coffee machine can muster, with a heart designed from foam, in a ceramic cup, with a silver spoon that shines almost as bright as your smile.

You say you feel as ignored as a white crayon. I say, "lucky for you, I prefer to color on black paper." Sometimes those who are given the least deserve the most.

You are my work of art. You are my Mona Lisa, my muse. You are tempera paint: strong and vibrant. You are also watercolor: translucent and vulnerable. You are a sculpture; molded perfectly to the last detail. You are DaVinci's dream.

You say you wish the waves in your hair would straighten. I say your waves are the ocean, gently rocking back and forth against the wind, occasionally creating a storm. Those who sail your way will never forget your legacy.

You say you wish that for once, you would mean the world to someone. I say you mean the universe to me. In a heartbeat, I would travel 46 billion light years from the edge of the universe just to show up on your doorstep with flowers in one hand, ready to take your hand in the other.

To say you mean the world to me would be a tragic understatement. It would be like calling the Pacific Ocean a puddle, like comparing a galaxy to a continent. You are much more than you will ever comprehend.

You say you wish to have blue eyes like mine. I say your brown eyes radiate life. They are the nutrient-rich soil that support the beautiful vegetation this world has to offer.

They are the chocolate sauce on top of an ice cream sundae. They are two quartz stones that I would trade every diamond in the world for, just to look at them for only a second.

I will never stop loving you until all the stripes in the rainbow run gray. Until the sun becomes a dwarf star. Until every ocean runs dry. Until art is no longer used as a form of expression. Until this Earth gives up, I won't give up.