Poetry On Odyssey: Someone Has To

Poetry On Odyssey: Someone Has To

Be there. Someone has to.

355

I've never been the type of person to share my writing, especially not poetry or journal entries. Ironically enough, I'm writing for this is the perfect opportunity to get some of my stuff out there. I wrote this piece at the beginning of the semester and decided to give the world a rare window to look into a part of my feelings.

I've given most of what I have to those around me.

It seems all I have left is the hope they might give back.

So, I'm asking you to take what I have left and not leave me stranded.

Don't leave me with nothing.

I need someone that can give me as much of them as I give to others.

Be that person.

I need you to be that person.

Someone has to.

I guess all I'm asking is that you not take more than I can give.

Because if you break me then I'm broken beyond methods of healing.

I give and give to all those I care for and more times than not they don't give back.

It's not a bad thing, they're not bad people.

They just don't realize the toll it can take.

When someone doesn't give back its a manageable sacrifice that I would always make again.

However, when everyone takes a manageable sacrifice from me it mutates into a chaotic seize.

I need someone to hold me down when I feel like I'm whisking away.

I need someone to hold together the shards of this shattered dream.

Wrap your arms around in a desperate attempt to keep me from melting into the wind.

So hold me.

Someone has to.

I'm not finished with what I need to say.

What I want to say is too much to ask.

What I want to ask is too much to give.

And somehow it's never been something too big for me