Pleasure Reading Is Lost By College Students

We don't turn to books for comfort anymore.

199
NBC News

Ever since I was very little, reading has always been encouraged in my house and in my school. Both places encouraged me to read books I enjoyed and books that would help me obtain knowledge on a certain subject. I have realized that growing up and continuing your studies does not necessarily encourage reading on your own. Instead, hundreds of pages of readings are assigned each night. You begin to never have time to read the books you love because you dedicate all your attention to the textbooks and essays.

Over the holiday season, I purchased several books that I was extremely excited to read, and quite frankly, still am because I was not able to finish all of the books over this past winter break. After coming back to college and getting settled in with a routine, I realized how difficult it actually is to pleasure read. I rarely have any time to sit down with a good book that I actually enjoy and get engrossed in it like I used to. Instead, I find myself dragging my eyes across a page that I have not near as much interest in to receive a good grade on a test or paper.

I have been enjoying the books thoroughly when I get a chance to read any of them, however, every time I sit down with one, I realize that I should be actually reading something for class. It never fails that I have readings to complete elsewhere. Even when you think you have no more work, there's something lurking around the corner that must get done.

I have come to the conclusion that we are no longer promoting the enjoyment of reading in students. Nowadays, it seems that you should read just to obtain knowledge and not for pleasure. While I know that this is good for our educations, it can be harmful to the way we feel about reading. I used to love reading and would read nonstop. I never used to think about looking at social media, watching tv, or texting before bed; it was always me and my book. I believe that we need to change the way our schools have us read. Students are no longer enjoying the true pleasures of reading because we no longer get any say in what works we can be absorbed in.