How To Donate Your Hair To A Good Cause
Beauty Fashion

6 Orgs You Can Donate Your Hair To After Your Next Hair Cut

Donate your hair to make a difference.

784

I have recently been doing a lot of research on hair donation leading up to my next haircut. Donating my hair is something I have always wanted to do, but when I was talking to a lot of my friends no one seemed to know a whole lot about it. It seems that most people know you can donate your hair but simply choose not to because it seems inconvenient to find somewhere willing to accept it. For that reason, I wanted to share some of the information I've found.

The Clean Wave Program

When most people hear hair donation, the first thing that comes to mind is wigs. The Clean Wave program is a little different from typical hair donation. Instead of your hair being turned into a wig for someone suffering from hair loss, the collected hair gets turned into mats and other items used in oil spills. Your hair naturally picks up oil, so the hair can easily be used to filter water after oil disasters.

Where to send your hair: Instead of providing an address, the Clean Wave program asks that you sign up to donate at ExcessAccess.org. This allows them to better control the sheer amount of donations they receive while also allowing them to keep your name in a database in case of future oil disasters.

Requirements: At the moment they are asking for ponytails that are 3 inches or longer, but this may change as the needs change. The Clean Wave program has one of the shortest length requirements I have found and is great if you aren't looking to drastically change your looks.

360 Hair

360 Hair is a company devoted to creating wigs for cancer patients 19 and under. It is located in British Columbia and is affiliated with the Canadian Cancer Society. One thing that is unique about the company is that they allow the girls to pick their own desired length, color and texture when it comes time to pick out their wigs.

Where to send your hair:

360 Hair (Hair Donations)
5952 200th St
Langley B.C V3A 1N3

Requirements: Hair 360 asks that hair is clean and dry, bundled into a ponytail or braid secured at both ends, and hair must be a minimum of 8 inches of length.

Chai Lifeline

Chai Lifeline is another company that provides wigs to children with cancer. Chai Lifeline gifts wigs because they feel that it helps improve the children's self-esteem. While they do the same thing a lot of other hair donation places do, they ask for longer lengths of hair, so they are a good choice if you recently just cut off a large portion of your hair.

Where to send your hair:

Chai Lifeline
Attention: Hair Donations
151 West 30th Street, Floor 3
New York, NY 10001

Requirements: Asks that hair is clean and dry, bundled into a ponytail or braid secured at both ends, placed in a ziplock bag and then an outer envelope, and hair must be a minimum of 14 inches of length.

Wigs For Kids

Wigs For Kids provides wigs to children in need at no cost to the recipient. The company ensures that no hair goes unused, and even shorter lengths get turned into things like layers and bangs. Wigs For Kids states that they do not sell any of the hair collected through their donation program. Wigs For Kids also allows you to write a letter to the recipient of your hair if that is something that you are interested in doing.

Where to send your hair:

Wigs for Kids — Hair Donations
24231 Center Ridge Road
Westlake, Ohio 44145

Requirements: Wigs For Kids has stricter guidelines that need to be followed than most other hair donation companies, but their website gives a clear list of directions. They ask that you follow the cutting procedure to ensure the maximum amount of hair is able to be donated. They also ask that hair be at least 12 inches in length.

Locks of Love 

This is probably one of the most popular hair donation places out there. However, LOL has faced some harsh criticism over the years for their habit of selling hair. While it is true that Locks of Love sells a portion of the hair received, the company claims this is done to help raise funds for the wigs they do donate. You should donate at your own discretion and choose a company you feel meets your hair criteria and values the best.

Where to send your hair: Locks of Love has a downloadable form they ask you to fill out when you donate that includes the address for hair donations.

Requirements: They ask that clean, dry, and 10-inch long hair be placed in ponytails before mailing. Locks of Love also accepts color-treated hair.

Pantene Beautiful Lengths 

Pantene Beautiful Lengths is partnered with both the American and Canadian Cancer Societies to provide free wigs to women living with cancer-related hair loss. This donation company is only accepting donations through December 31st of 2018, however, so you need to act fast if you want to donate your hair to them.

Where to send your hair:

Pantene Beautiful Lengths

Attn: 192-123
806 SE 18th Ave.
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Requirements: Pantene asks for donations of at least 8 inches. The hair must be clean and dry, secured at both ends of the ponytail and placed in both a ziplock bag and padded envelope.

Whether you are planning to make a big or small change to your hairstyle, consider hair donation as an alternative to help others struggling with their own hair journeys.