Best Places To Eat In The Tuscaloosa Area

Think you have tried all the places in town? Consult this list and cross each one off one by one to complete my Tuscaloosa eats bucket list.

958
CDN

Do you ever find yourself feeling really hungry but can't decide where to eat? Tuscaloosa has a variety of hole-in-the-wall places that are fairly cheap but filling. Use this listicle as a bucket list for all the "go-to" spots in Tuscaloosa and knock them off one by one. Only the true Tuscaloosians can claim their title by visiting all these restaurants.

1. The Avenue Pub

The Avenue Pub is tucked inside the streets of downtown Tuscaloosa and it offers the best burger in town. Something that sets Ave Pub apart from other burger places is their live music and decor atmosphere.

2. Cookout

Even though Cookout is not local to the Tuscaloosa area, it is what everyone is thinking about. It offers over 40 flavors of tasty milkshakes, allowing you to combine up to six flavors to make your custom creation. The only downside is they offer one size milkshake but they are so cheap, you can just order two if you have a sweet tooth. Also where else can you get American, Mexican and barbecue food?!

3. Nick's in the Sticks

Nick's in the Sticks (a.k.a. Nick's Filet House) is the best place to get a yummy steak for a few bucks. It opens at 5 p.m. and the secret to this restaurant is to get there early because the line gets lengthy.

4. City Cafe

Even though you will find this treasure in Northport, it is worth the short drive! It will for sure be the best meat and three of your life. Opening in 1931, it is one of the oldest and most famous places in town. Be sure to check what times they are open before making plans because it does not operate the most typical restaurant hours.

5. Archibald's

While Archibald's Barbecue house looks a little rustic on the outside, it is one of Tuscaloosa's longest running restaurants. Tray Archibald runs the restaurant and is the third generation of his family to be a part of the Archibald legend. It opened in 1961 and the food is still cooked the exact same way as it was in 1961.

6. Post Office Pies

When you are in a pizza mood, try Post Office Pies to get a unique pizza experience. Each pizza is hand tossed and cooked in wood fired brick ovens to add an extra crisp that will be hard to find anywhere else. They always have local band posters advertised around the hostess stand too.

7. Rama Jama's

Rama Jama's is a place that will make you feel connected to Alabama in a way no other restaurant can. The walls are lined with memorabilia that will take you back in time to the greatest moments of Alabama's history. You're guaranteed a plate of grease that will leave your taste buds happy and your hands dirty. This restaurant is a right of passage to every Alabama student.

8. Waysider

Want a piece of New Orleans in tiny Tuscaloosa? Try Waysider for a memorable breakfast that is sure to include some classic beignets. The Waysider is a small house that only fits a select number of customers which aids the ambiance of a special customized service.

9. Glory Bound

If you have never had a gyro (say it with me, "year-oh") then Glory Bound is a must visit. Glory Bound brings a unique American-styled Greek experience to thousands of college kids every year. With their popular Tuesday and Thursday discounts on gyros, you're sure to enjoy a great meal for a small sacrifice.

10. Buffalo Phil's

Phillip Weaver did many Alabama students a great favor by opening up "Wings & Things" in 1980 on the strip before changing the name to Buffalo Phils in 1992. B. Phil's indisputably has the best wings in town due to their zesty taste and the accessibility to pay with Dining Dollars. Just like Rama Jama's, visiting B. Phil's is a right of passage for every Alabama student.