Calling All Pirates And Pirate Adjacents - Here’s What You Need To Know About Piratethon

"Bad Dancing Saves Lives!"

39
Image from Pixabay

As we are all working to do our part in making the world a better place, East Carolina University is doing it's part to host events to raise money and awareness for important causes. One of these is Piratethon, and I'm here to break it down for you and encourage you to pitch in and do your part.

Piratethon is a student-led Children's Miracle Network organization at ECU that made its official start in 2018. It is a six-hour dance marathon held in the spring. Children's Miracle Network is a non-profit organization that raises money for hospital equipment, hospital renovations, and medical research. They also raise awareness for different illnesses that impact children.

You can get involved by participating in the dance marathon as well as smaller events throughout the year. You can also help by donating during the events. The organization can also benefit from more student volunteers on the committee and executive boards to help organize and plan the main event in the spring.

During the main event, there is A LOT of dancing! There is also food, games, and fundraising. Families in the Miracle network local to Greenville also come to the event to share their stories. They tell about their illness and how the Children's Miracle Network has benefitted them throughout their treatment.

The best part: 100% of the proceeds are donated to the James and Connie Maynard Children's Hospital in the Vidant hospital park in Greenville. Last year they donated $28,757.20 to the hospital, showing an 86% growth from the previous year when they raised $15, 387.19.

We need more students to help out and get involved in Piratethon, every little bit helps! Even if you aren't a student, reach out and see how you can help out. We do this all for the kids, and they need us now more than ever.

For more information you can visit their social media pages listed below, or their Orgsync page through ECU.

Instagram: @piratethonecu

Twitter: @piratethonecu1

Facebook: Piratethon at ECU

Orgsync: https://ecu.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/piratethon

To get in touch, reach out to ecupiratethon@gmail.com.