A Piece Of Peace In A Troubled World: A Sonnet
Politics

If everyone has a light inside them, why is there so much darkness in the world today?

23
Ross Aguilar
"These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today."-Rufus Scrimgeour (J.K Rowling)

Across the globe, thousands of human lives are in grave danger. Often times, this danger is present in domestic forms (such as a tyrannic government or rogue militia). This hazardous environment displaces people from their homes, rendering them refugees. Currently, this issue is at the tip of the American tongue as to whether or not we should allow refugees into this country. However, I am not here to tell you what I believe we should do as a nation. I am simply here to tell you a little bit about what I believe we, as members of the human family, should do as individuals for the collective good.

Piece of Peace

The day we go and find the moon is down,
Shall be a day of justice for the earth.
We all will burn to gain the fired crown,
'Cause we're inclined to fight and show our worth.

But that's the way the world has always turned,
So gripped by war that no one cares to change.
And deep in darkness still we go, all burned
From bullet, bomb, artillery exchange.

And none, but some, have ever thought to stop,
Because they've seen the damage that is done
When without end the killings seem to swap.
But this solution is the only one.

Put down your gun and shake each other's hand
Because a world divided can not stand.

Within our day-to-day lives, we, as individuals in society, have the power to cause immense change. Specifically, we have the power to cause any change we want, be it positive or negative change. That is the decision we all face. Will I stop to help an elderly person put groceries in their car or will I walk by and pretend to not notice that a can fell under their car? Will I offer a seat to someone eating alone and make a new friend or will I continue on my way, comfortable with the friends I already have? Every single interaction that we have with someone else is an opportunity. It is an opportunity to make someone smile, or to make their day a little bit better. We have absolutely no idea just what is happening in another person's lives. Therefore, why not add a little goodness to their day. Those were incredibly simple examples; however, each little act of human kindness is like a drop of water that helps to form a tidal wave of human love. Go and make positive change in your world and you might just begin to see the whole world in a better light.

“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.” -Edward Everett Hale