Having a passion

Do We Have Enough Time To Attend To All Of Our Passions?

I'm not so sure we can follow all of our interests without giving up something else in return, so difficult decisions lie ahead.

251
Bennett Yoc

My mind races at incredible speeds. Thoughts forming and branching off into other ideas like the fission of atoms. Neurons working overtime to serve my consciousness. With a young mind that is so restless, how can one decide on a life's work when they are in awe of life itself? I wonder how it must feel to be a master in one particular field. I am referring to those who have dedicated their lives to one cause. Moving through life in a linear fashion towards one goal. Typically they are notable in society for their achievements, inventions, vast knowledge, etc. I wish to spend one day in their world to see firsthand what it takes for such a commitment. This curiosity stems from a belief I have about towards these types of people. I believe they are working towards the future I dream of. Building technology that only exists in science fiction novels or films, supercomputers and AI, making sense of the vast universe, finding cures to life-ending diseases, neutralizing natural catastrophes, must I go on?

No matter how much I feed the abyss, that is my appetite for knowledge, I'm left wanting more. I just find so many things to be fascinating. I recently finished reading a book in which the main character was faced with a difficult choice; pursue a life of research that would demand his full attention or stay with the women of his dreams and create a simple family life. This means choosing between being social and maintaining connections with those you care about or going on your own path ignoring critics to travel along a plane of uncertainty, but driven by curiosity and a quest for answers. All in the efforts of challenging what we see as barriers for mankind and finding solutions to these mind-boggling questions.

For all my complaints about college. One thing I love about this place is that I have an opportunity to interact with others about topics that we both find intriguing. However, it's also frustrating to be placed here and told to declare for a major when in the short term it seems like that choice will dictate the rest of your life. I need more time. Some might say that I'm a procrastinator or that I'm lazy for saying that, but when you have hunger as strong as the one I bare, you will come to a similar conclusion; it will be very time consuming or we simply don't have enough time to reach such mastery for all of our interests.

I tried my best to keep this article consistent from going off into different routes and it very well could have. Like I said before my mind races at high speeds. I hope this reaches those who can relate.