4 Phrases That Sum Up Today's Misconception of Love

Here are a few phrases that have made us confused about what love is supposed to look like.
Caden
Caden
186

I think one of the main reasons that people my age and younger feel so pressured to get into a relationship right now is partially because of the concept behind relationships that we've been taught since we were little. We've heard certain phrases and been told fairytales that essentially teach us that we won't be happy until we are with the loves of our lives. I'm not saying that I hate these phrases; I'm pointing out how they have affected those of us who are single- or at least how they have affected me. Here are a few examples:

"He's my better half."

This implies that you alone are a half, and your partner alone is a half. Unless you feel whole alone, you will always view yourself half as valuable as you really are. When God says that the two become one, He does not mean that He is bringing two halves together to make one whole; He's bringing two whole people together into one powerhouse of wholeness so that you can further complete His will.

Yes, you'll be able to do more, amazing things once you've been joined with God's partner for your life. Notice the comma. What you're doing when you're single is just as valuable to the kingdom as what you'll do with your spouse one day.

"She completes me."

Although I'm a firm believer in Christ creating us a partner that will make us want to better ourselves, our edification should never solely rest in human hands. Only God has the capacity to fill our voids, so God should complete you before you are in a relationship. He's not waiting for you to find somebody; He didn't create a person with the power to make you complete. Completion is in Christ alone.

"Your Prince Charming is on his way,"

or

"Just keep waiting for your Prince Charming."

(I don't know if there's some type of male-equivalent of this that guys are told.)

This is one of those phrases that put pressure on guys and makes them feel like they are on a mission to go and find their princesses. Also, this makes girls/women feel like there is someone out there coming for them if they just wait long enough. Listen, maybe it's just my personality but I'm not waiting on love. I have love already. I'm working while I'm being prepared for my future husband- not sitting around and counting down the days for him to arrive.

I pray that my future husband is working on himself and allowing God to work in him; I pray that he isn't spending his time searching for me. I don't think that you have to seek out God's will for your future spouse when you're already living in His will; I think that's a part of the plan that will come naturally.

I'm not an anti-romantic who thinks that these phrases are evil; I think they're cute as long as we remember that we weren't created to be completely dependent on a single human. I personally can't wait to post pictures of my future spouse and say things that let everyone know how emotionally dependable he will be, but I'm not going to paint him as someone who I depend on more than Christ.