Photography Creates Independence

Photography Creates Independence

All you need to be free is a camera, lens and open mind.

19
Photography Creates Independence
Emily Hill

I found a passion for photography early on in my life. It stemmed from being around my uncle, a professional photographer. I was fascinated by the anatomy of cameras and how life's moments could be captured, saved forever and shared. Although people say that "anyone can be a photographer now" with the technological advancements in cell phones, I disagree. Sure, anyone can capture a moment but it takes a true photographer to be able to capture a moment that results in a photograph that evokes questions, analysis and emotions.

Photography is a release of those bottled-up feelings you may have but are unwilling to share. Photos discretely capture that feeling in a photograph and only you would be able to decode the meaning behind it. Having the ability to not only appreciate, but also utilize good photography is rare. I was exposed to looking at things differently. During typical daily tasks, I see the angles, color, shapes and lighting that would create a photograph.

I strongly believe that photography has to be an individual hobby. You can't really be with a group of people as you constantly have to stop, change a lens and get the right shot which may take several times. You should never feel rushed during photography. You should go in with an open mind looking to adjust to conditions in the environment and rolling with the challenge.

This past weekend I felt photography connect me on a deeper level to discovering my true independence. I used to always need a friend or family member to accompany me everywhere I went. I think it was just a comfort zone thing. However, photography has taught me that independence is freedom, creativity and power. I woke up early before my family and left the house excited, but a little nervous to be going to a local event by myself. It was just me and my camera, but honestly, my camera was my companionship. I met so many more interesting people and had conversations with people I wouldn't have even noticed if I had been with people I knew.

It's so important to challenge yourself to do things by yourself and get more comfortable in your own skin. As most of us are in our 20s we are going to be doing more on our own so it's the best way to learn. If I took away any lesson from my internship this summer, it's that you learn by doing. You may not have a professional camera or background in photography, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. It makes me feel proud to look back at the collection of photos I took from an event, and the fact that I have the ability to share them with people who weren't there is so special and beneficial. The article picture is a photo from the water lily festival I attended!