Phone Time

Phone Time

Start being in the moment and capture memories for your happiness.

9
phone, lady, computer

Recently, my i phone 7 has been depleting- no longer does it call, it will not hold a charge, and I can't take videos without the volume. Recently I have not been able to use my phone like I used to be able to. I have to communicate by text or in person, I cannot post on my story funny videos to show my followers that I am doing "cool" and "fun" things, and my phone is constantly dying.

At first, this was a major struggle for me. I had to go days and nights out without a phone because it was dead, meaning I had to engage in conversations at all time. Talking to people is not something I struggle with, but when you do not have a phone to glance at and everyone else does, you start to notice how actually involved people are in your conversations.

People, including myself, have a habit of constantly checking our phones to make sure we have not missed any big news. We are always plugged into the virtual world when really, reality is right in front of us. Without having my phone constantly on all the time, I have had to learn how to communicate differently.

Last weekend was one of my most fun times in college. My roommate had some girls come and stay with us and we all decided to go out that night. At this point in the night, you guessed it, my phone was no longer living, but I truly think this is why I had one of the best nights in Starkville, MS.

I got to actually meet these girls and talk about not just surface-level conversations. I got to know them, what they enjoy to do, and all about their lives. I never got to know someone so fast in my entire life all because I did not have a distraction that took my focus away from meeting my roommate's friends.

I also did not care about posting on Snapchat what all my night consisted of since none of my videos produce any sound. Usually, I am always posting, partly for the funny memories, but also so my other friends can see that I was having a fun night.

Overall what I learned was that being totally unplugged from the outside world can cause for a great time of entertainment, laughter, and memories that I will always remember without a video to prove it.

I understand, trust me, that phones are now a part of our everyday lives. There are so many great things about technology and social media if used positively.

I am not writing this article to say that we should all get rid of our phones (I am ironically asking for a new phone for Christmas), but I am writing to get people's attention to put their phones down during these times and enjoy yourself. We need to retrain ourselves and let ourselves know that we can in fact live without a phone.