Phoebe buffay caused drama

Phoebe Buffay Is A Grade-A Drama Queen In Need Of Attention, Hear Me Out

She's so sneaky about it, too.

237

I love re-watching "Friends." Whenever I need a break on Netflix, I usually choose to watch "Friends." The characters seem to be an ideal friends group, and I always loved Joey, Chandler, Monica, and Rachel. I always disliked Ross (because he acted entitled to control Rachel's love life even when they weren't together), but I could never really understand why I didn't particularly like Phoebe. I thought she was a nice enough person and though she was quirky, she had her moments.

After watching the show recently, I realized why I didn't particularly like Phoebe. Phoebe loves to cause drama and does so in a way that you almost don't notice.

For example, when Rachel has to move out of the apartment that she and Monica lived in because Chandler is moving in with Monica, Rachel and Monica start to cry. They are extremely sad that they won't be living together anymore and that it's the end of an era. Phoebe, who is also in the room, decides that for her friends to quit crying she should ask Monica and Rachel what they disliked about being roommates. This, of course, leads to them fighting, and insulting one another. Phoebe could've said anything else, but instead, she decides that Rachel and Monica insulting one another would be the best solution.

In another episode, Phoebe gets very angry with Ross. She gives him no explanation as to why she's mad and throughout the episode is cold towards him. Ross later tricks Phoebe into admitting that she's upset with Ross because he called her boring while they were playing chess on a frozen lake, and afterward he took off his energy mask and became Cameron Diaz. Phoebe can explain all this all the while not realizing that this occurred in a dream. See, I don't buy that when Phoebe began getting angry at Ross that she didn't know that the reason for it happened in a dream.

I believe that Phoebe enjoys causing drama and having attention.

After Ross and Rachel drunkenly get married, Rachel insists upon getting an annulment, and Ross begrudgingly agrees. However, Ross lies about getting the annulment and tells Phoebe his plan to convince Rachel to stay married to him. While Phoebe believes that Ross should be honest with Rachel, Phoebe doesn't tell Rachel the truth either, and sits back and watches the drama. It's not like Phoebe is keeping a little secret from Rachel. Phoebe isn't telling Rachel that she's still married. I don't care if Ross wants to keep it a secret, Phoebe not telling Rachel that she's still married to Ross is a disservice to their friendship.

She enjoys watching the drama unfold.

When Chandler finds the perfect ring to propose to Monica with him, he asks Phoebe to make sure that no one buys it while he goes to grab more cash. While he's gone, Phoebe needs attention, so she decides to try on a bunch of jewelry, and doesn't guard the ring at all. She doesn't care how important getting the best ring for Monica is for Chandler. She only cares about garnering attention.

In another instance, Phoebe, Monica, and Rachel are looking at a Playboy, and the question of who you date out of the other two friends gets brought up. Monica and Rachel both say that both girls are great and they wouldn't choose between their friends. Needing to start drama, Phoebe says Rachel after thinking for a bit. Phoebe would've had to notice that Rachel and Monica didn't choose one friend. Phoebe had plenty of time to say the same thing, but of course, she had to choose Rachel. This makes Monica upset, and she annoys Phoebe to give a reason why Phoebe would pick Rachel over her. Phoebe then goes on to say that Monica is high maintenance and that Rachel is a pushover. This leaves Rachel and Monica both feeling insulted. The whole argument was unnecessary, but Phoebe loves drama so of course, she had to escalate it.

Phoebe is the character that no one expects to be devious. While Ross is obviously controlling, Phoebe low-key enjoys causing drama. It seems like if something over the top or unnecessarily dramatic happens in "Friends," Phoebe is sure to be behind it.