Philly Things Everyone Hates

6 'Philly Things' You Probably Hate, Unless You're From Philly

And I'm not just talking about "wooder."

2033

When I started school in August at Villanova, I was unaware of many things as a freshman. One thing I was certain about, though, was that the vocabulary used at this school was completely different than what I grew up with.

I have lived my whole life in Bucks County, a large suburb of Philadelphia. All of the schools I have attended have been no more than 45 minutes from Philly, including Villanova. But I quickly learned that most Villanovans do not use terms that have their roots in Philly. I feel it is my civic duty to educate the masses about how slang works in the 215.

"Jawn"

This one may be the most used term these days in the state of Philly, however, it is the most confusing one to explain. Simply, it just means a "thing."There is no real origin of this word. All you have to do to use it is point to something and boom, that's a "jawn." While most people use it for physical objects, I have heard a few use it to reference humans as well. The sky is the limit with the "jawn."

"Cheese whiz"

A staple in this city is the Philly Cheesesteak. What goes on a cheesesteak? Cheese-wiz! It's just melted cheese, mostly used on these famous sandwiches. It's not a cheesesteak without cheese-wiz!

"Jimmies"

No sprinkles allowed in Philadelphia.

"Ard bet"

Google Translate: Alright (then)

When someone asks you what the move is that night, and you confirm you can go to said plans, then you respond with "ard bet," to end the conversation and get on with your life's plan. It acts as an "OK."

"Wooder"

This is the most controversial and talked about one on campus. It's spelled the same. It looks the same. It tastes the same. ITS WATER! It's not a different type, species, or spelling. It's that good old H2O your body needs to function as a human being. In this area, its just pronounced differently. THAT'S IT!

"Water ice"

This is an extension of "Wooder," because people from Philly also get criticized for saying "Water Ice" instead of "Italian Ice." Yes, we know everyone else calls it Italian. Yes, we know we are basically saying "Water Frozen Water." Yes, we know that it is more slush than ice when consumed. And guess what? This is still never ever going to change.