The Chi Chapter Of Phi Beta Sigma Celebrates 90 Years Of Brotherhood And Service

A review of the The "Nasty" Chi Chapter's spring probate.

306

On Saturday, March 27th at 7:13 p.m. outside of the leadership center at Morehouse College, seven new members of Phi Beta Sigma Chi chapter mostly known as Nasty Chi chapter celebrated their 90th year with the seven men crossing over as official Sigma men. As the crowd began to roll in supporters of all ages bringing balloons of the number that they are supporting in the line. Different sororities came out to support such as the Delta Sigma Thetas, Sigma Gamma Rho, and their sister sorority Zeta Phi Beta. The older members of Phi Beta Sigma had a heavy presence as they came to support their new Sigma brothers and support their number that they once were during their probate. Even people and other Sigma's from Georgia State University and other colleges came to watch and support. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity was founded at Howard University in Washington, D.C., January 9, 1914, by three young African-American male students. The Founders, A. Langston Taylor, Leonard F. Morse, and Charles I. Brown, wanted to organize a Greek letter fraternity that would truly exemplify the ideals of brotherhood, scholarship, and service.

The crowd was getting hyped up as the DJ played all the popular hip hop/trap songs, as the crowd dabbed and milly rocked while we waited for the new sigmas to arrive. Later as the crowd has gotten bigger, comes seven men with ski-masked used to hide their identity until the big reveal to the crowd. All seven members came from Morehouse closely together in a line to the center of the crowd. The crowd was electrified as all seven had performed the origins and information about the fraternity, as each person would step out of line and grind on the ground slowly and fast as they hold up their chapter nickname "Nasty," as it had all the women in the crowd riled up with their grinding. It was also amazing atmosphere watching the crowd go wild for the person they were supporting and just hyping up the whole line as they stepped. They had even had steps copying the sororities most known steps to show appreciation as well as saying each sororities history. They even sang "Lift Every Voice" in a chorus setup as they sang loud and proud with their fist in the air.

The time of the big reveal for each member was amazing to see the new members consisting of six sophomores and one junior, being unveiled to the crowd to show off their hard work of being a line for Spring 2016. Every person in line came out energetic and the performance was very exciting as the crowd cheered and danced too. As the probate began to close the old and new sigma' came together to step, as we could see the brotherhood and history come alive with these men as they smiled and stepped. The crowd started to disperse as the families greeted their son, nephew, cousin or friend to give congratulations for becoming a part of Phi Beta Sigma and the celebration of 90 years. It was a wonderful experience and ready to witness the next probate coming this Spring.