Get Up, Breathe, And Try Again
Education

Get Up, Breathe, And Try Again

It's finals season, formal season, and almost summer - things are always hectic and nothing seems to always go our way.

223

Suddenly, especially towards the end of the year, all you hear around you is the talk of grades, stress, and studying. Suddenly a bad grade on a test or a project feels like the end of the world. You may feel that this specific setback is preventing you from trying again. This is your reminder that it's not.

Whether it be in school, in our jobs, in sports, or in life, we are bound to face setbacks.

One setback is not the end of the world unless you choose to let it be. Take a moment to appreciate that while you are not able to control the outcome, you can control your actions and your response to things in your life. Take the D on the test, feel disappointed that your effort did not pay off like you hoped it would, and then try again. Do not spend so much time wallowing in self-pity that you forget that you can control your actions.

This is not to say that it's your fault you did not succeed at something on the first try. We all have things that we put our best efforts into and they ended u[p not panning out. It's totally normal to take some time and feel disappointed in that, even to vent to some friends if you need to. This is just to say that complaining about a grade that you can't change, a play that you didn't make, a promotion you didn't get, accomplishes nothing, wastes time, and makes you feel bad about yourself. instead, focus on how much power and control you have over your next steps.

How sad would it be if we had no control over our own lives? If we were just predetermined to fail. Sometimes it may seem easier to not take responsibility (not for the failure but for your actions) but that would mean our actions don't matter, and they do.

This your reminder that you are not powerless. You are a strong, smart, hardworking student that happens to be human. Humans fail and that's okay. The mark of real strength is in those who get up, wipe the dust off, and try again and again and again. And even if you fail again, at least you can hold your head with pride, knowing that you put your best effort in and it just did not work out. There' s no shame in that.

This quote (from various people) sums it up: "There are only two things you can control in life- attitude and effort."

Just a reminder that grit, determination, perseverance, and a good work ethic will take you much farther in life than acing every test ever could. You'll be more apt to deal with future setbacks and your mental health will thank you.

Get up, stand up, and try. Again.