For the Person Who Thinks Education Doesn’t Matter

Or that college is a waste of time.
1932

Whether you are still in high school and have persuaded yourself that college is a waste of time, that you can get a job, and make good money without a degree, or if you’re already in college and the stress and workload have you doubting if this really is the right path for you, here are some points to think about, who knows? Maybe something will resonate you with you and change your mind.

A college education can…

Prepare you for an exciting career

You want to be a banker? Lawyer, doctor, business owner, fashion designer, cook, or automobile engineer? No matter what your dream job is, there is a school that can help give you the necessary skills to get where you want to be. The time you spend in school will be well worth the return when you're living out your dream instead of working in a temporary job in a field you maybe don't even enjoy.

Give you goals that you strive to achieve

Anyone will tell you that college is not always a blast, honestly most of it (the work part) isn't. But the thing is, worthwhile doesn't always have to be fun. Just knowing that you're on a path, with milestones set up for you to reach is great motivation that you can and will succeed. It is good practice for the rest of your life to allow yourself to set up a goal you really want to reach and then give it your all until you get there.

Allow you to study in a different city or country to experience a different culture

Getting an education in any part of the world really is a huge privilege because you get to meet people from both far and near, hear of their cultures, unique thoughts and opinions, and see how different things can be when you travel to a new place. Many students take a semester of school to learn a language in Spain, or France, or wherever they would like. People also go to the Galapagos Islands to study biology, to Rome to study architecture, to Washington DC to study politics, or to Africa to do research on the animals. No matter what you want to do, there are always endless opportunities to see what lies beyond your horizons, all while learning and enhancing your education.

Meet new people, make friendships, and network for job opportunities

When people say that “college is what you make of it’, they’re right. If you are the type of person that talks to people in class and hangs out with peers to study, or whether you are the social butterfly that is quick to get together a group for Sunday brunches and weekly outings, there are always tons of opportunities to meet people at college. You can join clubs, go greek, become a part of a pre-professional group, or just talk to the people that sit by you, and before you know it you will have built several relationships that you know you can rely on.

Learn about things you had never even thought of

before I started college i had no idea what I was in for. It doesn’t matter what your major is, there is always room to take classes outside of your main interest just to learn and explore different areas that you had perhaps never even considered before. I learned all about psychology and it really helped me to understand a lot about why I do certain things and see into the way we all act and why. I learned about several different religions, some of which I had never heard of before, and learned to appreciated the different beliefs of people from all over the world. I learned how to sculpt ceramics and make pottery pieces, I was able to take classes in two different languages, and even do research on fruit flies in biology. No matter what your expectations are when starting off your education, know that there is so much out there, so many opportunities just waiting for you to take advantage of, and so much to learn.

Get a high beginning salary just for having an education

Right out of high school many young adults are fed up. They are fed up with having been in a classroom for most of their lives and doing homework that bored them into thinking school was just a bunch of busy work and a waste of time. They are eager to get out of high school and get job. They want to start making money instead of doing assignments for once. This sounds like a good plan, but I assure you it isn’t giving yourself the chance you deserve. Right out of high school you are not going to be able to make as much money, get a high position, or work for a company that has the same goals that you have, without going to school and getting the necessary skills and training necessary. On average, people with a college education earn nearly twice as much as those with only a high school diploma. By going to college, you are making an investment, an investment in yourself, your potential, and your future.

Give you something no one can ever take from you…they can take money and possessions but not education or skills

No matter how lucky you are, how well off you seem to be, material things are always, inevitably temporary. Things can change very fast and with the blink of an eye you can find yourself in circumstances you had never imagined. People and situations can change, you can always lose your house, your money, your possessions, and in many sad cases, be left with nothing, and no way back out. By getting an education you are giving yourself a gift that no one can take from you, no matter what happens you can use that knowledge and your skills, and hard work to find another opportunity and get back on the ground. Education equals security.