To Those Who Have Shaped My Character

To Those Who Have Shaped My Character

I love you, and thank you for being the great influences that you are.

269
To Those Who Have Shaped My Character
Mackenzie Witter

Family is a big part of my life, especially growing up as an only child. Other than my classmates, my family members were really the only people in my life, even up to this day. My mom, dad, grandpa, and cousin Laura have been my big supporters over the years. This is not to downplay any of my other relatives who I love, these four people have just been significant in shaping my current, daily life.

My Mom

Everyone has had great things to say about their moms over the past week which included the occurrence of Mother’s Day. Although I didn’t go out of my way to do or post anything spectacular for her, I let her know she is loved. My mom is, without a doubt, my biggest supporter and best friend. I can take this time to brag about how she goes way out of her way for me. Driving an hour and a half to Houghton to come see me when I need encouragement. Proof reading essay after essay. Talking on the phone with me for hours just to get my mind off a bad day I have just experienced. The above is just a taste of the wonderful things my mom has done for me.

My Dad

Let me start out with the fact that this man works long night shifts so that I can go to college. If that isn’t something to be eternally grateful for, then I don’t know what is. This also means he’s always up when I need a late-night chat to help me fall asleep. He knows how to calm me down, and always tries his best to help me out regardless of the situation I am in. I am working my hardest to do well in school, not only for myself, but for him too. His sleepless nights will not be in vain.

My Grandpa

A man who has always inspired my curiosity in everything from the Civil War to golf cart driving. He has urged my love for history to come out of my being and I couldn’t be more thankful to him for spurring on my passion. He is someone who I can talk about history with: who won’t get bored, or just pretend to be listening. He wants to learn about the world as much as I do, and I’m glad to have that in a relative.

My Cousin

Laura has taught me so many things over the course of my life. Growing up, she was the closest thing I had to a sister and I admired her goofy ways. I still do to this day, yet at 8 years my senior she can give me the best advice. She reminds me that God needs to be the center of everything in my life and that everything flows from there. She reminds me that I will never be too old to have fun. I can picture her at 90 still cracking SpongeBob jokes. She reminds me that life will be hard, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be good at the same time.

All my family members have taught me life lessons, whether it is what to do or what not to do. They all have inspired me in some way and above all they encourage me. I wouldn’t be the same person without these people who have shaped my character.