To The Person Who Feels Bad When They Mess Up Someone's Name

From Someone With a Difficult Name

874
Storyblocks

Have you ever first met someone online or seen their name first in print and then in person and it's too awkward to introduce yourself again because that relationship has already been built up and you just have to walk in with your hand out and be like "Hi... (insert awkward long pause while you try one last time to decide how the person's name is said) Jay-lee?" and then I say "Jah-lay" and then you feel bad and I feel bad and then it's just kinda awkward as you apologize and I keep saying it's fine. Anyway, I bet even reading this is uncomfortable, so my point is, there's no need for that, and hopefully this makes the next encounter go a little smoother.

So, Hi, my name is Jaleh Shahbazi, and if we were to have an encounter as described above you'd probably be dreading it and fearing that I'll be offended if you get my name wrong or are not even close.

Let me put your fears to rest. I have been alive for twenty years, funnily enough I've also had my name for twenty years (imagine that) and if I've gotten through life and you are the first person in twenty years to say my name wrong then we've just witnessed a miracle folks. After about fifth grade, you kind of get used to people saying your name wrong like your teachers, your friends, and your very American grandfather who could never quite master how to say a Persian name (I know, it's sad, twenty years and my grandpa still can't say it right, boy does that make you look good).

Basically, it's ok. I am not entitled to everyone getting my name right, having it messed up kind of comes with the territory of having a difficult name, if I'm going to be upset with anybody it'd probably be my parents because, honestly, it's just unfair that my sister's names are Jasmine and Rose.

So, please don't be scared when you see or hear a difficult name and don't be afraid to ask what my name is again, I'm not offended that you didn't remember or didn't get it right, I'm touched that you're trying, and really that's all that matters.