Benefits of Working with your Best Friend

4 Perks Of Working With Your Best Friend As Told My Spongebob

If you can't love what you do, at least love who you do it with.

89
https://unsplash.com/photos/yTwXpLO5HAA

We've probably all thought about what it would be like to have every area of your life involve your best friend. From living together to dating together (with separate partners), it's a fun thing to imagine. Sadly, my closest friend since I was 6 years old and I haven't had the pleasure to do hardly any of these things. We haven't had the opportunity to room together, and he's too ugly to get a date (you might think this is cruel, but you'll have to see his face yourself.) We have, however, been blessed with the same job for a few years at Menards, a hardware store. We both worked in the Receiving Department, the part of the store that receives and ships out any and all products. Yes, it was stressful. No, it wasn't that rewarding. But the time we spent together were some of the best times of my life.

1. The Shenanigans Never Stop

Working together means we can continue whatever we were doing together before, either during breaks or during the rare lulls in the shift. "Zack" and I have worked on a few fantasy worlds, discussed off-meta "League of Legends" strategies, watched Youtube and a plethora of other things.

2. The Best Person To Vent To

If you have a stressful job, venting isn't just desirable, it's a necessity for a healthy mind and body. So, when the person you would vent to regardless has the same job, the feeling of being justified, or reprimanded, is so much more real. I vented to Zack about every thing. Every. Single. Thing. And he knew exactly what I meant at every level because he was there. (Literally.)

3. Inside Jokes x 1000000

If you work with the same person for any significant amount of time in retail, inside jokes are bound to happen. They come from abnormal activities, silly mistakes, strange quirks, etc. But, if that person is also your best friend, those inside jokes expand beyond work and zoom in to every or any detail that fits your strange niche. It's so rewarding to know that a coworker not only understands but appreciates obscure anime references. It's also rewarding to know that somebody thinks the loading dock doors have their own personalities.

4. Telepathy

Ya know what I mean...
But in case you don't, I'll explain through an anecdote. During one of the busiest hours on the shift, I was tasked with organizing and orienting the Receiving Team to meet all expectations, which were numerous. Of course, 10 different things had to be done at the exact same by four different people. Before I could even start designating and explaining the tasks, Zack and I locked eyes, gave each other a knowing nod and then he took off to complete about three of those tasks--teamwork at its finest.